collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It wasn't so much that I would ask them how to play. A lot of the stuff I knew from old records.... What they usually talked to me about was how to conduct myself as a person. They tried to keep me away from all the things they went through. They tried to keep my nose clean, and they succeeded pretty good - Jerry Ricks, on time spent with the Old Ones, interview in Blues Review No. 46, April 1999

Author Topic: Guitjo Tsunami Strikes Weenie Campbell?!?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Guitjo Tsunami Strikes Weenie Campbell?!?
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
Let's see, Mr O'Muck posts a recording of a Big Bill number played in his inimitable energetic style on a guitar banjo. Bald Melon Jefferson confesses (after putting that nice Lyon and Healy up for sale) that he has recently purchased a guitjo. Then Lee, from Sitka, announces that he'll bring his newly purchased guitjo to play jug band music at PT. Well, hold your horses, Lee, I'm gonna bring my own, which I will be picking up on my next trip east in June. And, I happen to know another Weenie Admin/mod who has also recently purchased a guitjo and is apparently giddy from playing it ('fess up, you Weenie!). I know a few other folks who've had guitjos for some time, including Johnm's custom built fretless model. Anyone else want to admit to this faddish addiction?

It's been a while since I have purchased a new (old) instrument, and I really have to think that a guitar will sound pretty different from my other guitars to even be interested at all. I think this one will fit the bill, and reasonably priced, too. Here's a link to the listing over on Onewent's relatively new Vintage Blues Guitars site. Just scroll down a bit to the Sterling Banjo Guitar. Simple looking, but effective sounding.

Poor Tom, thought he was gonna have a nice little retirement project and it's now running his life. Spending his weekends looking for more guitars to sell.-G- Got some nice ones there, Tom.

I'd been thinking about a guitjo, after discussions here and on IGS. But I really got the bug after hearing W.B. Reid play one in a jug band setting with Suzy Thompson and others at the Freight. I mean, he was having just too much fun for a grown man, and the sound was perfect with the other instruments present. I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across this one while perusing Tom's new site. I had just finished a big home project, massive bookshelves with bi-fold door cabinets under, and figured I needed a reward.

So, anyone else recently bit with the bug, or long time owners want to post a pic or two?

All for now.
John C.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:30:31 AM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Guitjo Tsunami Strikes Weenie Campbell?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
OK, I confess, I have bought a six-string banjo. It's actually made me a better person. When I walk down the street now, children no longer flee in terror, cats no longer hiss.

I picked up a Stradolin banjo guitar (pic attached), which if anyone knows anything about, I'd be happy to know about too. So far, from the headstock logo, I'm dating it to the late 40s, possibly 50s, but can't say for sure and can find exactly zero on Stradolin banjo guitars, though their old mandolins have received praise as good budget instruments.

One problem with banjo guitar/guitar banjo. It makes me want a banjo.

Have attached a sound sample for fun. A quickie instrumental of Papa Charlie Jackson's "Look Out Papa Don't Tear Your Pants". Flubs and all. I'm still learning how to keep my fingers from becoming twisted up in this instrument!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
And I thought we'd be hearing Slack play rockabilly gitjo!   :P

Nice playing, Andrew.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
And I thought we'd be hearing Slack play rockabilly gitjo!

Hmm, now there is an idea.  :P

Sounds great Andrew!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
Git-joes is da' bomb, as the young folks said up until recently! Terrific playing Andrew! Gitjos really do make one a better person. For instance it is physiologically impossible to be depressed while playing a Gitjo. It is also impossible to take yourself too seriously. They lower your blood pressure and impart enlightenment. It is THE instrument for the twenty first century! Gitjos RULE!

PS.  I have a Strad-o-lin mandolin looks to be forties or fifties. I don't know anything about the company however.
Same stenciled on logo. Yours sounds great and looks mmm, mmm over an' out!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:51:37 PM »
I have a Deering D-6

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »
And I thought we'd be hearing Slack play rockabilly gitjo!

Hmm, now there is an idea.  :P

Lord, take me now :-X

Actually, I myself have purchased a Cameo guitjo ('50's?) ($135 on eBay), which is out at the luthier being set up.

So , our first Weenie jam will be 15 guitjos playing "Baby Please Loan Me Your Heart"

Lord, take me sooner!

Alex

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »
I'm seeing 50 of us on a stage somewhere playing 'Airy Man Blues". Hopefully there'd be lots of naturally occurring echo!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Tags: 6 string banjo 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal