collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

If you wanna go to Heaven around the great white throne, you'd better tend to your business and leave mine alone - Golden Gate Quartet, Every Time That I Feel The Spirit

Author Topic: Archtops  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Archtops
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »
Re. the Gretsch I guess I must have dropped enough hints that Cheryl knew exactly what I wanted and Heart of Texas Music had one in stock. I like the 6120 a lot but the 6122 is I reckon more practical. In fact I like all their archtops, including the Tennessee Rose. But the '59 single cutaway 6122 is the ultimate for me. Since the F-holes are painted on it's not very loud until you plug it in but really why would you not plug-in a Gretsch?

In-fucking-credible guitar. I've been picking Chet's arrangement of San Antonio Rose in A on it tonight, just figured it out after many failed previous attempts. One of those guitars that just leads you into all kinds of new areas. I'm over the moon it's safe to say.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 08:42:24 PM »
 This old Gibson came with mojo pre-installed, so I opted for that. 

I played a 1935 L50 with mop script Gibson on the headstock today. What a beauty! It was going for 2gs.
I asked the store owner about it and he told me it was his personal guitar, whereupon with my usual tact I told him he was nuts to sell it. So after some discussion he decided to keep it. We both had the same observations about L50's; that they have a better balance than a lot of the bigger archtops L5's & L7's for example, which tend to favor treble and bass over the midrange. The L50s seem to have a pretty even balance, maybe even a preference for the midrange. We also agreed that this guitar has a particularly successful shape.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
Cheryl's gone blog crazy. So now there's a vid of me playing the Gretsch '59 Chet here: http://78704pickinparty.wordpress.com/

It's just a quick test of guitar, camera and the Linux workflow needed to get it on the web. We can do better I'm sure.

Song is Guitar Rag, key of E. I believe Travis 'borrowed' it from Mose Rager, added lyrics and recorded it with one of his cowboy swing units. I have an early radio show recording of Travis playing a prototype of it, he introduces it as Mose's Rag and credits Mose with inventing the style.

I'll try embedding it:

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
Cool! Nice pickin' -- you are a little blurry however and we cannot steal your licks.  :D

Offline Frosty Morn

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
Sweet pickin' on that Gretch!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
Thanks fellas. That was a one off tester. I'll do it again properly soon and and you're welcome to steal all my pre-stolen licks!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal