collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

We can talk about him like a dog now he's dead - Alice Stuart, on the cantankerous nature of Jesse Fuller, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: parlor/concert guitar pics, Supertone, Lyon and Healey, Raymond  (Read 5553 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: parlor/concert guitar pics, Supertone, Lyon and Healey, Raymond
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 04:24:57 PM »
..thanks, Pod, for the info .. use a flashlight on the brace, I have other Stellas w/ stamps there, too, I think it was a fairly common practice and the bodies of these two are identical as far as the pictures tell.  It would be cool to find common lot #'s, if that's indeed what they are.

The shadow line below the bridge is, I think, bridge creep..possibly from a hot room/car etc. 

The description of your bridge matches mine to a 't'.  I'm going to have to make a new bridge for this one because the orig is cracked a bit through the pin holes, so, if all goes well, I'll correct the intonation on the new bridge by adjusting where the slot is cut.  I don't want to move the bridge location or it will leave more of the 'shadow' showing on that beautifully patinated 'burst.

Pod

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »
hi one went
Just checked the OS Stella internals with a mirror and flashlight, nada, no numbers on brace S of sound hole and no pencil marks. Shame. Everything internal was A1 though, good wide bridge plate and the grain lines on the soundboard were tight, pretty dark wood , looks darker than Sitka spruce, but at this age who knows.

Looked in the Mahog Supertone, the bridge plate is sound , so a new bridge it is, will refret while I am at it.

Checked Stewmac for pickguard material but they dont have the MOTS stuff apart from laminated for electrics, got any sources?
Cheers
Pod

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »
..Pod, thanks for lookin'  .. re the MOTS, the stew-mac has Pearloid sheets but it's w/b/w laminated, item #1040 .. maybe Mike Hauver, who does Neil Harp's restorations, knows a source. 
Might have to start buying some old accordians..  ;-)

..ok, did 5 min of google research and warmoth.com has solid pearloid in 10x12 sheets for $34, so we can save the accordians!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 06:09:49 AM by onewent »

Online blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
"we can save the accordians!"

Nah! into the trash with the banjoes!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 01:36:19 PM »
Stella guts...heel block appears poplar, end block, sassafras?  In addition to the stamp on the brace, there are pencil marks near the bridge  plate and sound hold brace.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:38:53 PM by onewent »

Pod

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 07:23:25 AM »
Nice pics . Very obvious marks , maybe Neil Harpe could help with these?
I hope the back went on OK after that major surgery. ;)
I hope I never have to do that to my Stella.
Interesting to see how lightly braced the top is.
Cheers
Pod

Tags: parlor guitar 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal