collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

The best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced - Dr. John on James Booker

Author Topic: Gibson HG-00 Conversion  (Read 4713 times)

slgis

Gibson HG-00 Conversion
« on: July 26, 2006, 07:29:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would say "Hello" and post a question.  Lately, I've been curious about the old Gibson HG-00 conversions.  I don't recall that I have ever played one, and was wondering if any of you had any impressions of this model, in comparison to it's cousin, the L-00.  From what I understand, it's heavier braced, but does that hurt the tone for using it as a "Spanish" style guitar? 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Gibson HG-00 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:53:55 AM »
Hi Slgis, welcome to Weenie Campbell!

I've never played a converted HG-00, but heavier bracing doesn't necessarily hurt the tone, especially on an old guitar.  In fact it may be an advantage on an old gibson as many of them were built so light that breathing on them changes your set up.  :D 

I think the thing that might throw one is the nut width - you've got to like a 1 7/8 nut. They can probably be great guitars, but I think Id want to play one first before buying. 

cheers,
slack

slgis

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
Thanks Slack!  I appreciate the welcome.  Actually, the big neck on the HG-00s appeals to me, as does the 12-fret neck.  I've been thinking that this would be a good (although small body) alternative to the Smeck models, which have just gotten too expensive.  I really regret not getting one of those 5 or 6 years ago, when they were still affordable.  Actually, I remember Smecks selling for less than a $1,000 because no one at the time wanted them.  How things change....

Offline MuddyBuddy

• Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 08:00:01 AM »
Hi
I recently bought an HG-00 from the late 30's just from a pic on eBay. I was delighted when I received the guitar, which was set up perfectly. plays like a dream, and really snaps and grunts, as well as getting that OLD rounded woody Gibson sound. I don't care for newer Gibsons at all, but I have 2  1930's era Gibson guitars and 2 old Gibson mandolins, and there is a consistency in sound that is warm and  breathy. I have never played an L-00, which is what I wanted, but considering the prices now----  3000 dollars for a beat up one, and almost 5000 dollars for a pristine good looking one ( at shops ), I found that my 2000 dollar outlay for this guitar was a deal. Since I live in Sweden, I couldn't try it out, but asked lots of questions, and the guy was a dealer on eBay. He was honest with the faults (only cosmetic) and helped with info.

The nut width LOOKS wide, but is very comfortable and roomy if you have big hands. The V-shaped neck helps to anchor the thumb and actually makes playing MORE comfortable than with a rounded neck... I heartily recommend them...

And I can't stop playing the thing!!! Her is mine being picked in the front room.

cheers
Buddy

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »
Looks sweet. And with the twelve fret bridge placement, I don't think you need worry about pursuing a 14 fret L-00. Looks like you could get the saddle intonated tho'? The slot can be filled and recut at the correct angle if, as it appears, this hasn't been done. Enjoy!

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:27:59 AM »
Hi John

Interesting... but no intonation problems as is... do you think it is necessary fix the bridge? Tone difference?

cheers
Buddy

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »
No, if the intonation is good (checked by comparing the 12th fret harmonic to the twelfth fret note) on all strings, I would leave it as is. Maybe it is just the perspective in the picture. Is the saddle slightly slanted or does it appear perfectly sguare to the strings? Usually when one of these is converted the saddle angle is corrected.

Boy the neck looks nice and fat. I like a big V neck, too.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline MuddyBuddy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 02:57:41 AM »
Waxwing,

intonation is fine... I double-checked after I read your post... Yeah the neck is big and fat, and very easy to play. Beeen learning Carl Martin's Crow Jane version and it is great to play on. PLENTY of room for fingers and hammer ons. Playing my other guitars feels like switching to an electric now! Context is all!

cheers
Buddy/Bert

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:15:35 AM »
Context is all! I couldnt agree more. Allowing room for all personal interpretations, of course. I was feeling exactly that while playing my little Stella and the Sovereign 12 tonight at my monthly 3rd Thursday Boat Club gig.

Enjoy that guitar!

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal