collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My group of people - Joe Turner, King Curtis, Mickey Baker - used to laugh at all the country blues singers who were backwards musically. John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins sang out of meter - we couldn't respect them - Doc Pomus, quoted in How The Beatles Destroyed Rock 'N' Roll by Elijah Wald

Author Topic: Guitar for Fingerpicking  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
Guitar for Fingerpicking
« on: January 15, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »
I realise that I'm probably overlapping with existing threads but I would like to harness the collective wisdom of the board one more time. I'm just starting out on the road to fingerpicking heaven but so far I'm doing it on my one current guitar which is a 60s Gibson Dove and, whilst its a nice instrument in its own right, it sounds all wrong. Its far too bassy for a start and theres none of the projection I want. So I'm looking for suggestions and the excuse to buy another guitar! I'm in the UK and my budget is fairly limited approx ?500. I know I can rely on you guys :D

boots

Re: Guitar for Fingerpicking
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 03:09:07 PM »
Allowing for the good exchange rate and the fact that we always get ripped off over here that could equate to around $1500.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:00:00 AM »
You might well pick up a gem in the US which has to better value than UK prices, work on roughly ?=2$ and add about $100 for shipping .
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
There is a newish Gibson L-00 Blues King on ebay at the moment. Anybody played one of these?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 01:37:26 PM »
Hi MD,

I owned one for awhile - the problem with Gibson's is that they tend to be overbuilt and so are variable in sound production, or projection.  The one I owned was pretty much dead.  I think you need to play Montana Gibson's  - there are good ones - but you have to hunt.

cheers,
slack

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 11:39:34 PM »
Thanks, its tsrrting to look a bit pricey anyway. I would much rather track down a vintage guitar but thats easier said than done in deepest East Anglia :D

Muddyroads

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 08:26:46 AM »
Try a Larivee OM model.  The OM-3 has a flat finsih, and  the OM-5 has the gloss finish.  They used to make an OM-1 and I have one  and use it daily in teaching and the studio.  Great balance and projection for fingerpicking.  They  should sell for $1000 or so with case of gigbag depending on the model.

Hope this helps,

Mud

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 08:54:25 AM »
I'll second Mud's recommendation on Larrivee guitars.  Larrivee's do have consistency and  it is a company that I personally would  feel comfortable ordering by mail.  Also they have some new models that are appealing to Country Blues players.  I'm not sure if the street price is over your budget - but the Model 50 - mahogany, 000, 12-fret, slot head  - would be the ticket for me - great looking  and although I have not heard one, I'll bet great sounding guitar.

cheers,
slack

Offline Murphydog

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 02:09:32 PM »
thanks for the replies, I have found a dealer in Montana whos offering an all mahogany Larrivee
Om-03 which I think I'm going to go for, I don't think I'm qiute ready for the genuine vintage sound just yet.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 03:07:33 PM »
thanks for the replies, I have found a dealer in Montana whos offering an all mahogany Larrivee
Om-03 which I think I'm going to go for, I don't think I'm qiute ready for the genuine vintage sound just yet.

Mahogany top as well? Cool, I didn't think they did those. I think you'll be very pleased with the Larrivee. They make real nice guitars.

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 03:15:14 PM »
Canadian too.

Alex

Muddyroads

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 06:19:42 AM »
I teach in a shop that sells Taylors and Larivees.  We have two all mahogany Larivees, a OM-3 and a D-3.  They both are great guitars.  I'd have designs on the OM-3 but it has a pick-up system which is additonal cost not something that is required.   The sound of these guitars is quite clear and warmer than the spruce topped models.

They do have some nice models I have not seen yet, but the owner is promising to expand the line as the Larivee sales are picking up so here is hoping..

Meanwhile, a killer Michael Kelly top of the line  A style mandolin came in while my mando playing blues partner had stopped by for a practice during a break in  lessons.  It was 7/8ths as good as his Gibson.  Good quality work on this one too, but MK is not as consistent as Larivee who is also coming out with a mandolin line, but I digress.

Larivees are a best buy in the guitar world.  I have Gibsons and a Martins, and the Larivee holds its own with them.

Mud

thehook

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 12:42:56 AM »
from what I have heard and played I would say these:
Gibson J-100? (Gibson Jumbo) rev gary davis style and he could get real nice sound with it.
Most mid grade martins can do the trick although they can be a bit touchy
Old stellas are always Gems if kept up condition wise
Lots of folks played Guilds like John hurt loved Guild guitars have heard good things about em but go for vintage I don't know about new ones (if ther are any)

jmiles

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 03:48:45 PM »
Larrivees are great guitars.  I've also played a few Tacomas that sounded excellent and played very well.  One of them had that strange paisley-shaped sound-hole.  Weird lookin'. but , man, it was a tremendous guitar for finger-pickin'!
           JB

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal