collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of people say that the blues is just a feeling, but it's not; it's also a harmony system - Steve James, "Blues/Roots Guitar" instructional video

Author Topic: Mystery Blues  (Read 944 times)

Offline jake_fantom

Mystery Blues
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »
I am wondering if any blues fanatics out there can help me recall the name of an artist (or possibly a band) from the lyrics of a song. I owned this blues on a 45 rpm recording, which I bought in the 60s. It was a train-themed blues, the band was urban and electrified. The song was played on the radio at the time, on the R&B stations at the top of the dial. The first lyrics of the song were:

"The train left town this morning, and I believe my baby is long, long gone. (2x)
That's why I've got to stop that train at the next station, and tell the conductor to send my baby home."

I am pretty confident that the first line is exactly as I have described, though the second line may not be exact. Later in the song, there is the lyric: "Somebody stop that train, somebody stop that train."

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks for reading!

Jake

Offline cru423

• Howdy!
Re: Mystery Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
It's some version of "Hold that Train, Conductor" originally a Doctor Clayton tune. Every musician in that line had a hand in its later versions: Sunnyland Slim, B.B. King, Carey Bell, etc. Also known as "Stop that Train, Conductor". I don't know which version you remember, but best start with all the songs under this title.

Offline jake_fantom

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:02:24 AM »
Thanks so much! I am on the case!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:23:39 AM »
If the 45 was purchased in 60s then the numerous renditions recorded since don't come into the equation. This will save hours of searching and will show up in, say, the title index of The Blues Discography 1943-70. Yes? No? Or have I misunderstood?

Offline jake_fantom

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
Actually, after a little research, I don't think "Hold That Train, Conductor" is the song I am recalling. The lyrics are significantly different (see my original post), even though there is a conductor being beseeched in both songs. In any case, at 109 bucks a pop, the discography is not really an option I would consider. But thanks so much for your replies.

Offline jake_fantom

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
Well, not that anybody is monitoring this thread from 2013, but it took me more than seven years to find the answer to this one — and the lyrics I quoted are 100% correct. The song is titled, The Train, and it's by an R&B singer named Big John Hamilton who recorded for the Minaret label. This song was recorded in 1967, and I owned a 45 of it, which shattered many years ago. It is indeed a riff on Hold That Train Conductor, but IMHO, it stands on its own. So thanks to all who tried to help. I feel like I have found an old friend. You can find it on YouTube, Spotify or Amazon Prime Music. Worth a listen. A beautiful tune.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal