collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I told a white fellow once, "If you were black for one Saturday night and on Beale Street, never would you want to be white again" - Rufus Thomas

Author Topic: Quote Drive 2007  (Read 14274 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Quote Drive 2007
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »
QUOTATION:   It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive character.
ATTRIBUTION:   James Weldon Johnson (1871?1938), U.S. author, poet. Black Manhattan, ch. 11 (1930).

QUOTATION:   You can be up to your boobies in white satin, with gardenias in your hair and no sugar cane for miles, but you can still be working on a plantation.
ATTRIBUTION:   Billie Holiday (1915?1959), U.S. blues singer, and William Dufty. Lady Sings the Blues, ch. 11 (1956, rev. 1975).

QUOTATION:   Downtown Manhattan, clear winter noon, and I?ve been up all night, talking, talking, reading the Kaddish aloud, listening to Ray Charles blues shout blind on the phonograph
ATTRIBUTION:   Allen Ginsberg (b. 1926), U.S. poet. Kaddish, sct. 1, Kaddish and Other Poems (1960).

QUOTATION:   Blues is to jazz what yeast is to bread?without it, it?s flat.
ATTRIBUTION:   Carmen McRae (b. 1922), U.S. jazz singer. Speech, July 2, 1980, Newport Jazz Festival, New York City. ?Blues Is a Woman.?

QUOTATION:   The blues was like that problem child that you may have had in the family. You was a little bit ashamed to let anybody see him, but you loved him. You just didn?t know how other people would take it.
ATTRIBUTION:   B.B. King (b. 1925), U.S. blues guitarist. quoted in Sunday Times (London, Nov. 4, 1984).
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2007, 05:42:59 PM »
Very meaty quotes those, thanks OMuck. Billie Holiday sure had a way with words, I really must read Lady Sings The Blues.

And thanks to everybody who has contributed this past year. That's a pretty good note to go out on, since this thread was entitled Quotes Drive 2007 I'll close it sometime around New Year's Eve, update the database and let it go out slowly, like a good cigar. And then open 'Quotes Drive 2008' of course.

BTW when this thread started there were 432 quotes in the database. By my count we've just hit exactly 532, for the mathematically challenged that's exactly 100 new quotes this year.  ;) That's way beyond what I was expecting. Amazing thing to me was there were very few or no repeats, I can't recall any actually.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:13:37 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
OK it's 2008 already so this topic is no longer topical and is now locked and will add the remainder to the quote generator.

Anyone with new quotes to lay on us please feel free to be first and start a new topic, Quotes 2008 or somesuch. Thanks y'all.

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal