collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
One of them gal's got a sugar farm, the other one got a oil-well in her back yard - Arthur Big Boy Spires - Which One I Love

Author Topic: Guitar Gabriel Discography  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
Guitar Gabriel Discography
« on: July 15, 2006, 01:10:09 AM »
Nyles Jones / Guitar Gabriel discography

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 03:50:12 AM »
Nice one Stefan. Here's what Blues Unlimited had to say of the Gemini 45 and LP

NYLES JONES
The Welfare Blues/Your Poodle Dog  Gemini 101 
For some strange reason this record, undoubtedly one of the most important 45s to come along in God knows how long, has gone completely unnoticed' 'Blues Records' gives no clues to previous work by this artist, but it is inconceivable that such a fine artist, on aural evidence an older bluesman with strong country roots, could have gone unrecorded/unnoticed for so long. Rave review? Yes! Who the hell is he?   Don Lindeneau, issue 76, October 1970.

GEMINI 7101 (US)
NYLES JONES "MY SOUTH, MY BLUES"
Ain't gonna let no woman/Sweet little Angel/Expressin' the blues/De Prit and 8etty/The Welfare blues/Log Cabin Woman/Your poodle dog/Down on the Farm/Southland

A single by Nyles Jones of "The Welfare blues" caused quite a stir in collector circles as it was fantastically good. Now there's an LP by this artist from Florence, South Carolina. Nyles sings and plays with great originality and possesses an engaging, gruff voice plus a personal directness - his chuckles and warm humour avoid a description 'folksy'; he appears to be thoroughly enjoying himself. A faint trace of Lightnin' Hopkins appears in his guitar-work, but he plays with an untutored roughness that exactly matches his vocals. A small, gently swinging rhythm section provide perfect support and each track is beautifully recorded. An excellent release that will hold the listener throughout - Nyles is really something quite new. A rural blues LP with a city beat that is recommended to all. Write to: Associated Industries, P.0. BOX 3089, Pittsburg, Penna. 15222 or try your dealer (Most U.S. LPs now retail at $/4.98 or $5.98, price of this unknown.)   Mike Leadbitter, issue 80, Feb-Mar 1971.

There not mention, let alone review, of either 45 or LP in Living Blues but as it only started life in Spring 1970 I think they can be forgiven. :)

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »
This conundrum was raised back in 1992 during a magazine correspondence but I'll repeat it here just in case it's been resolved without my being aware of it. Although Nyle Jones/Guitar Gabriel claimed his father was Sonny Jones (who recorded for Vocalion) doubt was expressed as to the veracity of this since Vocalion ledgers listed Sonny Jones's real name as James Johnson. Would the father's nom-de-disque be adopted as a birth surname for his son?

Tags: Guitar Gabriel 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal