collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He was a good cook too. He'd near cook his ass off! - Hammie Nixon, on hoboing with Jimmie Rodgers, from The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Blind Weenie's Blues- The Weenie CD  (Read 921 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Blind Weenie's Blues- The Weenie CD
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:23 AM »
I thought I should post a brief update with regard to the CD.  I have just sent $250 to Weenie Central, being the profits to date from the CD.  That donation will now go to help with the cost of running the site and juke radio.  Thanks to everyone who has bought copies, and to everyone else who is going to do so over the coming months ;) 

Happily there is also more to come- I have a few cds left and there is some stock remaining at CDBaby.  At the moment, I'm not planning to do another production run, but the CDBaby downloads will still be available, and we can of course produce further copies on a diy basis(though perhaps not with the printed cd). 

A few people had copies which they were going to try to sell.  Could I ask those people, please, to simply donate the proceeds from any sales they achieve to Weenie via the usual donation button?  If you could also drop me a line just to let me know, that would also be helpful, so I can keep track.

Thanks to all- and if anyone ever wants to do a Volume Two, I'd be happy to pass on such limited insight as I have gained through the process! 8)

Offline Adam Franklin

Re: Blind Weenie's Blues- The Weenie CD
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:15 AM »
$250......

I'm sure I speak for all Weenie members, well done Simon!

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »
I'd like to pass along an unsolicited and unbiased review from my wife.  She's not really a blues fan, but after 37 years with me, she's learned a thing or two.  I put the CD on a week or so ago, and after hearing Honey Blues by the Little Brothers and the first half of Shake 'Em On Down by O'Muck, she said "This is obviously pre-war.  What did they do to make it sound so good?"  That's an indication of how deeply the performers have gone into the music, and, I think, is high praise.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
This is pretty darned great. I'm playing it again now! What a fine collection of songs 8)

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:38:58 PM »
One website I came across recently, which is an interesting development in the hotly debated online/future of music/downloads blah blah scheme of things is Amazing Tunes . And its sister venture, Amazing Radio. Basically, Amazing Tunes is a service very similar to Bandcamp, only, unlike Bandcamp the site does not take a cut or commission: if someone downloads your album, at the price you specify, you get 100% of that. Furthermore, the site has a complementary internet radio station, Amazing Radio, which only plays music sourced from Amazing Tunes. Now, while they don't have a specific folk/blues show (it's mainly contemporary rock/pop/dance stuff), I don't think anyone has anything to lose by uploading an album - even a compilation album - to it. Have a look. Just a thought.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
Dang, I just did it myself.  Listening to a mix of music, and "Lo, I'll Be With You Always" came on.  I'm listening and thinking "Post-war, probably early 60s rediscovery, but I'll be darned if I can think of who it is."  After exhausting all the possibilities I could think of, I looked to see who it was, and it was Frank Basile from Blind Weenie's Blues!

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
i done done that too

clicks "like"  :D

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
I had never noticed this until listening to Stuart Cumberpatch's lovely instrumental version of "The Church Needs Good Deacons" on the CD, but the melody of this Washington Phillips song is basically the same as the high part of the Frank Jenkins banjo solo "Baptist Shout." Just a weird little connection but the association suggests where Jenkins may have got the "Baptist" from (I'm assuming it's a traditional melody).

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
Banjochris,
Thanks for the kind words and the pointer to 'Baptist Shout', which was new to me. Time for me to work on a slide banjo version, maybe...  >:D

Stuart 'Marshcat' Cumberpatch

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 03:36:54 AM »
Banjochris,
Thanks for the kind words and the pointer to 'Baptist Shout', which was new to me. Time for me to work on a slide banjo version, maybe...  >:D

Stuart 'Marshcat' Cumberpatch

"Slide banjo" involves taking the aforesaid instrument (can't bear to say it twice) to a deep, inaccessible quarry and sliding it down the side until out of sight below...  >:D
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
I realize I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to report how much I've been enjoying "Blind Weenie's Blues".  It's great to hear all the variety on the CD, the different material that people chose to present, and the different approaches to singing and playing.  Congratulations to Simon for thinking up and spearheading the project, Chris for the artwork, Phil and Mike for the mastering and all who made musical contributions.  Well done!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:03 AM »
Glad you're enjoying it John.

Cds at CDBaby have now run out.  I have 4 or 5 physical copies left here, but its probably not worth sending so few out to CDBaby, unless there are a stack of people suddenly intending to buy copies of the CD as christmas presents!

If there are people who are still keen to get a physical copy, could you let me know?- if there are enough we can consider another production run.  Otherwise its just digital downloads from here on, or if someone is really keen I have a few copies I could send direct.

If anyone who took some to sell has not been able to shift them yet, it might be an idea to send them on to CDBaby as a restock- drop me a line for details if that is your situation.  Alternatively, just paypal Weenie the profits with a brief note.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:26:11 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 07:12:34 AM »
Hey all,

Been a loooooong while since I've posted on WC, but discovery of the Blind Weenie CD has made me dust off the ol' a2tom avatar (courtesy of Slack) to say:

Well done!

Listening to it now.  What pleasure to hear a collection of old and new favorite weenies keeping it real.

Tom

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal