collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer - Rumi

Author Topic: LoneWolf  (Read 11483 times)

LoneWolf

Re: Gary Davis, and a song that I wrote
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »
Nobody? :(

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »
Hey Roi,

Personally, I haven't had a chance to listen to any new ones, but if they're anything like what you've posted so far, what's there to say but, "Good work.'

Perhaps you don't have a good understanding of what the Back Porch is all about. Generally it was set up so that folks could post something that they were working on, whether trying to work out a Patton tune or create one's own tune. The idea was to post work in process, ask for some tips or suggestions of what to work on or what direction to go in. Of course, everyone has their level of comfort in how rough a take they are willing to post, but you get what I'm saying. Most folks will post a song once in a while, and maybe get some feedback that will help them progress.

Now you seem to be a pretty accomplished player, with your own soundclick page and all, eh? And you made quite a few posts of relatively polished material. As I said, all folks can do is pat you on the back and tell you to keep doin' what you're doin'. So if you post a couple of songs a week, don't be surprised if folks with a lot more than country blues on their hands don't have time to give you that pat every week.

Your'e a good player and you've got a lot of years to develop your craft and art. Your exuberance is great, too. Just bear in mind that many of us are middle-aged and just hopin' to get good enough to play for friends before the arthritis takes that ability away from us.

Hope you hear what I'm saying in the right way. And, as I said, "Keep doin' what you're doin'." You got good chops.

Oh, one other thing. Stop smoking cigarettes. Be the individual in your crowd who doesn't get hooked. At my age I've seen too many friends die of lung cancer and, perhaps worse, the slow death of emphysema. Let your voice develop on it's own, with practice you can make any voice you want be your own, gravel bottom, falsetto (no, you don't have to have your 'nads cut off), or a shouter. Patience and hard practice, just like the guitar.

BTW, you haven't posted responses in any of my Back Porch threads. They're all still there, mine and everyone else's.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

LoneWolf

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
Hi John. I appreciate you comment, and thank you for not being angry with me when I'm literally begging for comments.

Your statement that I don't comment other people's posts on the porch is not true though. It's true that I don't do it a lot, because I'm a begginer on the guitar and most of the time I don't have anything to say except "I like it" and "Keep it up"...

And since I'm just begining my blues road, nothing is more important to me than comments, suggestion and critique. Compliments are always the best thing, but sometimes I feel like people compliment me because I'm a good player for the time I play, instead of giving me suggestion on how to become a decent, full-time bluesman.

I'm 18 years old and I need those things.

LoneWolf

My attempt at "nobody's dirty business"
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »

RichdCollins

Re: My attempt at "nobody's dirty business"
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
The intro and tempo sound great... you're not hitting the high g note( but MINE)..and you need to hit the c note( 2nd string first fret) at the end of the verse..good  thumb work, however..take  care.. Richd

mississippijohnhurt1928

Re: My attempt at "nobody's dirty business"
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 12:47:37 PM »
Great! But I think anyone who can play in Mississippi John Hurt's style is good!

LoneWolf

LoneWolf
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 01:46:10 AM »
The piedmont style is pretty new to me... Here are two recordings (since it's Sunday - gospel).

"What a Beautiful City" (Sonny Terry/Blind Boy Fuller/Brownie McGhee):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=547497&songID=4967105

Sing Of Judgment (Kid Prince Moore):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=547497&songID=4966316

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Some pathetic attempts at Piedmont picking...
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 05:59:34 AM »
Hi Roi,

I like what you're doing with the guitar on Sign Of Judgement.  Heck, I might even steal a bit of it.   ;D  I do think that the feeling of the song would come through better if you slowed it down a bit. 

LoneWolf

Re: Some pathetic attempts at Piedmont picking...
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »
Hi dj, thanks!!! Are you familiar with Kid Prince Moore's version?

LoneWolf

LoneWolf
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »

JimNJBlues

Re: My first Patton cover...
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »
Good stuff as always, Roi...

LoneWolf

LoneWolf
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=547497&songID=5197820

You can download it from there, or listen without downloading... Please let me know what you think.

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
Re: "Mighty Long Highway" - an original
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 10:16:18 AM »
Nice song Roy,  great picking.  For your age you are already an accomplished musician.
The only thing that needs improving are the vocals.  Although you voice has great potential you don't use it yet optimally.  In this song the vocals are too even and lacking dynamics, it sounds a bit like you're not fully aware of what you're exactly singing about.  I think you'll understand this better when you'll be older so you shouldn't worry too much about it  ;)  Just keep pickin', playing, creating and you'll get there. 
By the way, at 19 I didn't sound nearly half as good as you.
Carl

LoneWolf

Re: "Mighty Long Highway" - an original
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
Hi Carl, thanks!

My vocal abilities, unlike yours, are very very VERY (very) very (veryX100) VERY limited.
The best I can do is to hit as many "right" notes as I can and give it a very lazy feeling, which I actaully like a lot when it comes to someone like Lil Son Jackson. I don't know any way to work on my voice other than smoking 10 cigarrets a day, this is a real problem. I'm no singer AT ALL.

BTW, you can notice that after the solo break I went back to the first verse and then finished the song. I actually wrote another verse that was supposed to come after the guitar solo, but I completely forgot it in the middle of the recording and just improvised something...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:40:00 AM by LoneWolf »

LoneWolf

LoneWolf
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Here's my attempt at this incredible song

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=547497&songID=5215977

Thanks to our forum member "dj" for the help with the lyrics!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 06:23:20 AM by LoneWolf »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal