collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Frank Foster was playing a street concert from the Jazzmobile in Harlem. He called for a blues in B-flat. A young tenor player began to play "out" from the first chorus, playing sounds that had no relationship to the harmonic progression or rhythmic setting. Foster stopped him. "What are you doing?" "Just playing what I feel. "Well, feel something in B-flat, mother****er"

Author Topic: Ruby Walker (Ruby Smith) talks about life on the road with Bessie  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Chris A

Ruby Walker (Ruby Smith) talks about life on the road with Bessie
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
If you never had Volume 5 of Columbia's 5-box Bessie Smith series, you probably haven't heard Ruby Smith talk about her years on the road with Bessie Smith. I have just posted to my blog the first of seven excerpts. I hope you like what you hear, if you give it a try http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2010/09/it-was-timely-call-i-received-from-sol.html

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Ruby Walker (Ruby Smith) talks about life on the road with Bessie
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »
Fantastic. Thanks.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Chris A

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »
I have added another Ruby recollection, a brief one about domestic violence on the road.

Offline Chris A

More about Bessie Smith from Ruby Walker (Raunchy)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
Please be advised that this 14-minute excerpt from Ruby Smith's recollections of her life on the road with Bessie Smith contains explicit language and description of intimacy that you might not want your children to hear.

http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2010/09/ruby-tapes-3-running-from-jack.html

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: More about Bessie Smith from Ruby Walker (Raunchy)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »
Whoopie! ;)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »
Excellent.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline unezrider

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
that's classic!
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
Chris, thanks for sharing all of these recordings on your blog. Much appreciated and a tremendous resource.

Offline Chris A

Ruby Smith recounts a 1928 party with Bessie Smith in fine form
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
I have added to my blog Ruby Walker's taped account of the 1928 party she, Bessie Smith and Porter Grainger attended at the Carl Van Vechten residence. You may have read the account in my book, but nothing can beat Ruby telling the story in her own words.

Offline Chris A

Ruby had her very own, engaging way of recollecting experiences. This is a good example of that. I have posted this on my blog, and here's the direct link.

Offline CF

What a great series of interviews Chris, keep 'em coming! I remember a lot of these stories from my several readings of an old edition of BESSIE . . . still meaning to pick up your updated edition.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Bunker Hill

Ruby had her very own, engaging way of recollecting experiences. This is a good example of that. I have posted this on my blog, and here's the direct link.
What you have made available so far are captivating, informative and fascinating that I just can't wait for more.

I have in my possession the entire recorded interviews that Paul Oliver conducted in 1960. Although much of it can be read in Conversation With The Blues, in print it's 'bleak'.  Hearing the actual interaction between interviewer and interviewee, the thought processes of interviewee and his/her vocal "intonation" bring a totally new dimension. This is what I'm experiencing with the Ruby interviews, her infectious laugh could never be captured in the printed word.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
After checking with Chris A I've merged the 5 Ruby Walker topics into one, all the better to be able to find them. Thanks Chris!

Offline Chris A

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
Here's another of Ruby's recollection. A bit on the racy side, it is about a boy in  the boat and an Empress in the bed. Not for the prudish or anybody's children.

Here is a direct link to Ruby's sobering experience in New Orleans http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2010/10/ruby-sobering-experience-in-new-orleans.html.

Offline Chris A

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:23:51 AM by Chris A »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal