collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm gonna get drunk one of these nights and tell my sober thoughts - Bill Gaither, Georgia Barrelhouse

Author Topic: European Weenie gathering 13-14 April 07 is go! And the web site up and running  (Read 23314 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Hi Richard-Everything sounds fine except the sandcastles part. I think I'll be staying for the Sunday and travelling back on Monday. If there's nothing arranged, that's fine - time to explore etc.
Waxwing, if you don't go to France, you're still very welcome to stop off and stay in the land of your forefathers. There are cheapish direct flights from Edinburgh.
Prof S

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Your not going to make me face the conservative Calgary onslaught alone, are you? Perhaps he'll be a little easier to take with lady friend in tow.-G- Or perhaps we can ban all political discussions for the duration.

Hey Barbeque John:

I thought that was part of my charm! :D. And today's my birthday so I'm a year older and considerably more mellow. Except towards pinko Quebecers.

And Prof. S, I mights well look you up. I intend to visit Scotland, from wence my forefathers emigrated to Canada in the 1830's. My last name is after all, Knox.

TTFN,
Alex
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:10:57 PM by GhostRider »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Looking forward to seeing you, Alex. And playing Mississippi Blues as only a duo, eh?

How are you contemplating dealing with guitar flying issues. And what box might you be bringing. I'm a little leary of bringing the Stella because the pickgaurd is real tortoise and I'm worried some customs agent will cite a CITES regulation and confiscate the guitar. I've heard that even if you later prove the guitar was built before such and such a time, the chances of getting it back are very small. Just hearsay, but....

Anyway, if I can't see clear to bring my favorite Stella, I may bring the Style O, altho' I think resos will be a dime a dozen at this gathering.-G- But, packed correctly, they're pretty rugged. I'll have to hope that one of our fellow Weenies from accross the pond will have a nice throaty Stella and will allow me to play it with at least some of my usual emotion.-G- I'm just about to get the O back from a refret and some intonation issues due to having permanently changed to an unwound 3rd. I may be very happy playing it exclusively for a couple weeks.

Looking forward to meeting a lot of you folks. And your guitars.

All for now.
John C.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Any further movement from the Montreal contingent, UB? Your not going to make me face the conservative Calgary onslaught alone, are you? Perhaps he'll be a little easier to take with lady friend in tow.-G- Or perhaps we can ban all political discussions for the duration.

Still not able to make any hard plans. I'm definitely still looking into it though!

And Prof. S, I mights well look you up. I intend to visit Scotland, from wence my forefathers emigrated to Canada in the 1830's. My last name is after all, Knox.

From whence came the phrase "There goes the neighbourhood"...

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Any US or European Weenies needing a stopover on the way to Guernsey are welcome to stay over at Blueshome - we are less than an hour from London Gatwick.

Phil

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Hey Scratch. Didn't see your post before Alex's. We are definitely planning on taking you up on that. So far our itinerary includes flying in and out of Paris, or possibly Amsterdam and then visiting Paris, but also spending some time in the Orkneys and Scotland. Not sure how things will shake out yet, but it looks like Guernsey will be the last weekend of the trip.

I'm concerned about carrying a guitar (still thinking of bringing the little Stella) while traveling and am now prepared to pay a fee to use my Clam case to fly into Paris or Amsterdam, but don't want to lug a huge case around everywhere by rail so will probably stow it at the airport and rail or ferry around to our various destinations, with a car rental now and then for sightseeing.

Thanks much for the offer. We are looking forward to it.

The Cowans are part of the Coulquhuan clan, from the sides of Ben Lomond I believe, so we'll probably make it by there. Also emigrated to Canada, likely around the same time as the Knox family.

Alex, have you planned your itinerary yet? Perhaps we could make some other connections, not to mention earn a few pints by playing duets in a pub here and there? If you make it UB we could do a Weenie tour.

[Edit] Just saw your post, Phil. Don't know if we are going to spend time in the South of England, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

Hey BJ:

I have not yet thought a lot yet of my itinerary. I suspect (only suspect) that I'll place the Weenie gathering in the middle of two weeks or at the end of the first week of three. I have some friends here in Calgary who may be going to Amsterdam in the latter part of April.

And I'd love to hookup and maybe head up to Scotland, who knows. There is a Scottish heraldry shop here in Calgary, so possibly I could purchase a kilt, sans undies of course, to impress the wimin.

Unless I lose my nerve, I'll be bringing the L-00. I notice that Mary Flower carries two with her and one in a (very sturdy) gig bag. I might buy one for the L-00 and try to bring it on the plane as carryon. Did it once, we'll see.

Later,
Alex
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:19:01 AM by GhostRider »

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Scratchy Towers can accommodate three single Weenies or two Couplaweenies and a single...so come all ye (as long as you bring those old guitars)!!

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Great news and lots of interest, be good if the transatlantic contingent make it  :)

Ummm... a ferry from France, now I'm pretty sure Condor do it so have a look at the link to them on the  site and if not let me know and I will investigate for you  www.weekendblues.org

Now, I have to admit that the handling of guitars by any airline here (or uk) is not the kindest that I have seen and they try their best to put dents in my Carlton case... however, if you are flying here ask at checkin if you can carry your guitar to the steps of the plane and they will put it in the baggage bit last. Since it's all a bit Mickey Mouse at times, if you wait till the baggage is opened you can try and retrieve it via the stewardess - or if you are lucky and the plane is not that full you might get it in the cabin.. if you give then a load of verbal bollocks that it will fit in the locker...  It's not that bad but be prepared  ;)
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
I have been emailed and told the hotel has now filled the allocation of the 10 rooms I "booked", wonderful news, but sadly not correct!

Unfortunately some of the staff, now seem to be from eastern Europe (as is the way the UK is going  :( ) and English is obviously their first language - neeed I say more!!!

There are certainly some bookings so basically while I am on the subject I'll give it another plug and hopefully tempt a few more (UK ?) weenies to come along. I know this is all a bit long distance timewise but I have to keep at it !

For details www.weekendblues.org

Now, if you have booked could you pm or email me so that I can keep up on this and whilst I'm here ...Yves, did you say you had booked? 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:58:16 AM by Richard »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
 :)

I was just giving this another push to get you latent UK-Weenie-Guernsey types animated in the booking department as January is here and April ain't that far away!!

So, if you fancy that exciting weekend break like no other then this is for you...  8)

I really want to fill those remaining couple of rooms if not more, so please go for it.... right now if possible!  :P

>:D Now here's a little phsycology to help you, just tell madam you have booked this incredible weekend break (just don't tell her you are taking your guitar) and whizz her over she'll love it 'cause it's a nice hotel right on the beach   :o

Besides, we all know just how much our dear ladies enjoy listening us play don't we.... :-X

I hope to see you here.........  :)  and just in case you don't know full details with delux photos of the place are right here.... www.weekendblues.org

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
I can well imagine that the hotel folks will start to get twitchy if those rooms aren't all booked up soon. So yes, if you're being latent, now's the time to strut your stuff. Especially since Richard has done all the matrimonial subterfuge stuff for you! Richard- any ideas about programme? Maybe some of the non-latent attendees could come up with ideas??? I was thinking we could all come in kilts...
Prof S

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Prof,

Steady on - my wife's coming to Guernsey as a birthday treat  (ha-ha) - the sight of Richard in a kilt could make it her last. I think you've been living in Scotland too long  and gone native.

I've made some programme suggestions privately to our host, I'm sure he'll combine ideas and publish something soon as long as he's not distracted by that banjolele thingumy.

Phil

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
OK, Gre and I are gonna make our reservations this weekend. Looks like we'll be flying into Paris two weeks early, spending most of a week there. Then, somehow, off to the Orkney Islands (ferry from Amsterdam?) for a few days twitching (birding to you statesiders) and ruins haunting, then to Scotland, where we hope to spend some time at Scratchy Towers and maybe meet up with the Calgary contingent (if Alex is still talking to me -G-) and then from there to Guernsey, flying out of Paris Sunday or Monday.

I think I'm gonna brave it and bring the little Stella, so I'm hoping someone will bring a nice old National and a long scale 12 string so I can play all of my material.

I see the topic of what we are gonna do has fissled out. I would love to lead a workshop on any of the songs I do. Of course, Mississippi Blues is popular, particularly the turnaround and I've developed some nice break variations. Others that I think are good and that are songs I've transcribed myself and are pretty close to the original are Broke Down Engine, which is different on every verse and would really take some time (and would require that long scale 12 to sing and play, but for teaching purposes we could do it on a 6 string), Avalon Blues, of which I do the original 1929 version, and Fuller's Screamin' and Cryin' Blues, a great slow blues in G (and which would require that vintage Nat to do justice -G-).

Anyway, just some ideas. Anyone else have some good tunes they could teach?

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

Hi all:

Looks like I'll be arriving 10 days-two weeks early myself. Might go to Amsterdam first (to practice my smoking)  8) then I want to go to Scotland (to pick out a kilt) ;) , see the ancestral homeland and hang out with Waxy.

I'd be happy to teach a class on whiskey-drinking, poss. this skill has been lost in the motherland.

Alex

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal