collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25 cents?! Ha! No, no... I wouldn't pay 25 cents to go in nowhere! - 1933's Gimmie A Pigfoot by Bessie Smith

Author Topic: Busking and Country Blues  (Read 2105 times)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Busking and Country Blues
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
I've been getting together with a fiddler since last fall, we've hit a few open mics, and have decided to branch out a bit.  Yesterday, we did some busking at an event called the 'Art Hop'  in the south end of Burlington, Vermont.  There are a lot of studios in this part of town, and for this weekend they all open up, works are exhibited, etc.  People walk from studio to installation to exhibit to gallery, and it was very well attended.  The weather was perfect.  We started around 11 am, and played until 3 or so, when my left forearm started to cramp up, something which has never happened to me before.  i now know the importance of taking timely breaks, but we were having so much fun.....

I have always had some reservations about playing this music in public.  40 years ago when I first was bitten by the bug, it seemed like such a small, obscure musical niche.  I wondered if the general public could appreciate this form of music.  I know over the years this genre has become more exposed and accepted, but I have always had this feeling, and I know it is my issue.

Anyway the music went over really really well.  In the morning mostly families were walking by, and very young children would start to dance.  I figger when 3 and 4 year olds stop and start dancing, I'm doing something right.  Rev. Gary Davis material stopped people in their tracks.  We even had some young boys, maybe 7 or 8 start dancing.  I told them I was going to play a song about a man who could run really really fast, and launched into 'Traveling Man', and the boys started running around really really fast. It was great.

I'm not sure exactly what my point is, or if this is the correct part of Weenie to post this, but I guess I'm trying to say that this music just resonates with people.  It was a real treat to be able to sit outside on a sunny day, play this music that was new before anyone around was born, and have people react with it.

So Weenies, get out there and play!!

Mike

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Busking and Country Blues
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
Good for you Mike! Age bro..thats what caused your arm to cramp! I could never play now as long as I used to back when I was a serious busker, let alone holler as long and as loud. So, one ol' busker to another...what was the take
for 11-3:00? Those of us doing this or interested in doing it should compare notes to get a sense of what's possible or reasonable to expect. In my heyday in the late sixties-early seventies I think my best six hour day was about $175.? or so. I'm not counting the times when a wealthy enthusiast would come by and drop a fifty or hundred in the case ..then it could get up close to $300. or so. but most times I remember it being in the $60-75. range.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Hal in VT

• The Heckhounds
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:28 AM »
Hey Mike,
I was inside 404 Pine Street while you were outside playing. I was there showing my paintings. You guys sounded great. I had all I could do to refrain from grabbing my guitar that was in my car and asking if I could sit in for a couple of tunes. A spectacular event. Made better with the music!
Best, Hal Mayforth

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 06:34:10 AM »
I figger when 3 and 4 year olds stop and start dancing, I'm doing something right.

You've got that right!!! This has got to be one of the most direct, honest and rewarding form of audience feedback you'll ever be likely to get  :D

So Weenies, get out there and play!!

You've got that right too!  :)

Great to hear from your positive experience. Keep at it!

Cheers

Pan

• myspace site
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Hey Hal,

great to hear from you, next time introduce yourself, ok?  Tim and I hope to do some gigging, we have a name, it is completely original and great:

Les Mad River Sheiks!  coming soon to youtube, myspace, facebook and the performance corner!

Hey O'muck,  If I could make that kind of $$ I would have quit my day job long ago!  We only made about $25 in about 2.5 hours of actual playing, which I thought wasn't too bad until you spoke up thank you very much.  We played in the morning, and most of the crowd was young families with small children.  I think if we played in the later afternoon or early evening with a younger crowd whose judgement might be impaired, we would have done better.  We are probably going to look for other sites to busk in Burlington, and see how that goes.  I'm not the player you are, but I'm good enough, and don't forget Vermont isn't NYC.

thanks Pan, we were just running through a bunch of stuff, at one point I was playing West Coast Blues, and just mangling it, but I looked up and 3 or 4 kids were dancing so I figured I was doing ok.  So much of this stuff was dance music back in the day, and I'm grateful to be able to continue that.

Mike

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
I have been busking at the Memphis Farmer's Market downtown for several years.  The money ranges from an abysmal $13 each for 2 1/2 hours of work to upwards of $50 or $60.  When I play with my 1920's/30's band (as a three-piece with guitar/uke/bass) we mix jug band music with country blues and throw in some old-time and Disney songs, Elvis & Johnny Cash, etc.  We also occasionally play at the intersection of Cooper and Young in Memphis, and have picked up $20 or so apiece for a couple to three hours of playing.  The real money can be made in front of Wal-Marts or Super Targets, but the management will run you off and eventually call the cops if your persist in coming back.  That's busking guerilla-style: get in and get out before the heat comes down.  You can make up to $40 or $50 in 15 or twenty minutes doing this.  Beale Street busking is tricky because it's so LOUD.  I've set up a block or two away on the main pedestrian thoroughfares and done alright.  One way to up the ante and increase your take is to have plenty of merchandise available for sale, preferably in different price categories.  We live in a consumerist society, and people prefer to buy than to tip.  They feel like music is/should be free, but they love trinkets and baubles.  So make sure to have a CD for sale, t-shirts in both men and girl's cuts, a book of souvenir photos, bookmarks, lapel pins & buttons, etc.  My wife and I have a decorated antique suitcase, and we carry little pillows with vintage images printed on them - mostly black & white/sepia-toned images of scantily clad women.  The pillows are actually functional - we use them as banjo mutes by tucking them between the head and dowel stick inside a banjo rim, then the image shows through if you use a clear or semi-clear head, like a renaissance head.  If you don't want to mute but don't like the way the brackets and hardware dig into your leg, you can pull the pillow out and use it as a cozy to place between your banjo and knee.  But mostly folks like to buy the pillows because they are fun and a little naughty, and inexpensive at that.  If you do it right and move around a lot, and don't mind tending a small store as you perform, you can average over $100 per day.  I challenge anyone with a comfy day job to take a week or two of vacation time to try out this way of life - you will be surprised how relieved you will be to get back to the office!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:26 PM »
$25. in VT is the equivalent of $487 New York population density dollars Mike, and ain't no flies on your playing either
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:17:21 AM »

Some friends and I, regularly busk at the Farmer's Market in Berkeley and outside the ball park at Giants games.

I've spent a whole lot of my life playing for drunks in bars and in wedding bands (and still do) and busking is so much more fun and, personally and musically rewarding, that how much money I make is unimportant to me.

However, if somebody is curious about the money, we typically make $30-$50 bucks each for a couple of hours during the day (About the same amount that bars will pay, for 4 hours, that keep you out until 3AM).

I advise everybody to get out there and give it a try. I love it. 

• myspace site
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words O'Muck, I'll get some videos up of me and Tim when we have some.

I agree with you Mike, around here, the pay is not very good either, and some of the venues go late.  When you busk, you can pick and choose when and where and for how long.  You have a bit more control.

Mike

Offline Oldwailer

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
It's fun to read a thread like this--and to learn that other players are out there making a few bucks and having a good time.  I have always done pretty well on the money--and had a great time--but, for some reason, It's hard for me to get out and do it with any regularity.  It's easier to just sit in my room and learn a new tune.

This thread has inspired me a bit--I'm going to do the farmers market thing again this week-end--and I never quit until I've earned lunch. . .

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
Mike,

Glad to hear that you got out and had some fun...I'm sorry that I missed it!  I too have been playing at a number of local art happenings here in VT and getting great response from the folks...not so much with the money... :P....but I'm having a lot of fun.  And there is nothing like playing out to push your skills a little.

Keep us updated!

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal