collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now a short haired woman waiting for to carry your troubles on. Make you think through the daytime, trouble you all night long. She make you think you right, when you know darn well you wrong - Will Batts, Country Woman

Author Topic: Smithsonian Folkways Online Magazine Story about John Jackson  (Read 1608 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Smithsonian Folkways Online Magazine Story about John Jackson
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »

Article and video clip of John playing "Steamboat Whistle" at

http://www.folkways.si.edu/magazine/2010_summer/artist_spotlight-john_jackson.aspx

John Jackson and Joseph Spence, two performers who can brighten up any Monday morning blues you got. I've been listening to both, and it's not even noon yet.

Lindy

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Smithsonian Folkways Online Magazine Story about John Jackson
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:09:47 AM »
Thanks for that link, Lindy. That article includes extensive quotes from John Jackson about his life, learning music, and recording and performing career. Highly recommended. I can't find a credit for the author of the piece anywhere (grumble), even though at the end of the piece there is a note saying the quotes are drawn from interviews done over thirty years. Credits for that issue of Smithsonian Folkways magazine include thanks to Barry Lee Pearson though don't refer specifically to authorship.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »
Oh boy, wonderful article, thanks for pointing it out, Lindy. And it has a clear byline (at least on my computer) at the top: by Barry Lee Pearson. Plenty of great info about John's life and music. Cheers, Chezz

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
Could have sworn that byline wasn't there earlier. I went and looked for it fairly carefully (I thought). One of the many nice things about the article is the cadence of John's voice comes through very clearly for me.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »
Very common for articles to get altered on the fly. I once posted a news link to a forum that was clearly very germane and topical, when I posted it. Posts followed saying "big deal, stop posting non events", I looked again sure enough the whole item had been rewritten after the facts had come out.

Tags: John Jackson 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal