collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
For "Snowing And Raining", both Alec Seward and Louis Hayes were playing out of A position in standard tuning. Slim starts out stating his problem, and Jelly offers no sympathy, as per usual. They worked so well this way, and they continue to alternate verses once they start singing. Most of their cuts are pretty short, and they remind me of episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" in that they don't so much end, as they do stop - JohnM, Guitar Slim & Jelly Belly lyrics thread

Author Topic: William Brown's Mississippi Blues  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
William Brown's Mississippi Blues
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »
Just heard this tune again on the juke. It is a hauntingly beautiful melody. Does anyone have an mp3, a  lesson ,  or tab and lyrics for this tune? Waxwing, you play it beautifully, maybe you have something , hidden in a box somewhere! ::)

I love it.
Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: William Brown's Mississippi Blues
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:36:16 PM »
Hey Buzz:

Barbeque John does have the lyrics. Grossman TAB'ed this out many years ago.

I've worked out a complimentary guitar part for this tune, all we need is a mando part for our PT jug band version (Shelley on washboard). How 'bout it?

Alex

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
I have the SG tab in a book but it's in a box in storage. Will see if I can unearth it next time I'm down there.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 03:49:11 PM »
Miller:

As I recall, Rory Block teaches this one in her Homespun Book/CD package:

http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=792&prodType=

Anybody have this one?

Stu

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 04:02:54 PM »
Miller, I'll give you tab (which you can get at Steve McWilliam's website (that's WC member Steve McBill)) and teach it to you (some rather 'interesting' fingerings) when we have you and Claudia over for some barbecue, like in about a week or? two? Looking forward to seein' your new (old) parlour.

I've been working on Mississippi Blues some lately (adding a little to the breaks I take) and as soon as I get my computer set up I will put it up on the Back Porch. Maybe this weekend. I'll contact Shelley, as she seems to be scarce lately, and get her on board for the PT jug band version.

BTW, I play it capoed up 3 (as Brown did) so if you're gonna work it out on mando it'll be key o' C, Miller. I bet we can work out some good voicings on the mando to go with the guitar part. Is up 3 good for you Alex?

All for now.
John C
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:06:54 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:24:50 AM »
BJ:

Up three is fine. I play along with the original for practice.

Alex

si

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:10:38 PM »
Inspired by this post I played this tonight at a pub jam session, accompanied to start with by a harmonica player, then a drummer and double bass player joined in. Went great. However I just cannot get the second section right (that's the section which is just a simple bass pattern with very simple treble). I have the tab but when in that section it goes to the D chord I lose it. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:18 PM »
I have the tab but when in that section it goes to the D chord I lose it.

Hi Si,

Are you sliding up the neck to do the boogie woogie part? eg for the A part, the treble is played on the 9th fret and boogie bass on the 7th and 9th frets(A, E and D bass) - for the D part, move the treble down one fret to the 8th and play the same bass pattern one string higher.

If this perfunctory explanation makes no sense, let us know and we'll add more details!  Whose tab are you using?

Cheers,
slack

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 06:25:02 PM »
As usual, Slack beat me while I was hunt and poking a long explanation, so I'll post it anyway.

I usually play two versions of that break, the first time through emphasizing the bass with sparing use of the high C note (mostly between the bass shuffle notes, i.e. the 2 of a triplet, but pretty much improvising with it rhythmically) and I hold that with my ring finger while handling the bass with the index and middle. I'm also pretty spare in the treble on the IV chord section. Against the open D bass I hold a little 2 string (1st and 2nd) barre with my index on the 7th fret and cover the 1st str. 8th fret with my middle, played in unison with the bass shuffle. Then I lift the middle as I reach out with the ring to get the 9th fret of the 5th str., playing just the 1st string (7th fret from the mini barre still in place) against the bass, again in unison on the shuffle beat. I really have to concentrate on arching that ring finger so that I don't mute the first string. I used to barre 3 strings, I guess 'cause I thought it would be easier to get over for the 7th fret 4th str coming up, but I could barely keep myself from muting the first string. Moving back to a 2 string barre eased that up for me and I can play it pretty cleanly now. Continuing with the 3rd triplet of the IV chord I jump to a 4 string barre at the 7th fret and just play the bass notes to the end of the measure, using the bass triplet from the 9th fret 5th str. to the 7th fret 4th str. and back. Then I repeat that measure and go back to the I chord similarly to how I started it, etc.

The 2nd time thru I throw in a whole lot more of the high C note thru the I chord, Then I play the 1st two triplets of the IV chord the same as the first time but on the 3rd triplet I add my ring on the 8th fret of the first string and pick the 1st and 2nd strings (that's why I used the barre on the 7th fret before if you were wondering) and then the little bass triplet, repeat the measure, and back to the I chord, hammering away at the high C on every triplet note against the shuffle in the bass.

I haven't yet taken the time to add the high A note with the pinky on the 10th fret of the 2nd str. in the I chord, but that's why I keep it free. That'll give me a reason to play it a third time, maybe. I'm sure Mr. Brown had a few other wrinkles in there. I think he may more fully mimic the two bar boogie of the I chord in the IV chord on one of his passes. I listened to it a lot a few months ago, but haven't had the time to sit down and work out some of them, but I really like to learn all the variations that the old guys played. That's mostly how I learn. Steve McWilliam's tab also has a lot of variations created by later players, I believe.

Anyway, I hope that helps you clean up that section. Sure is a fun song to sing and play, and your right that it's a good blues for a pub jam. For a while I was working with a harp player and he loved this song. And what a great turnaround, eh. I've had some really experienced electric blues guitarists ask me to teach them that turnaround.

I swear I'll get this up on the Back Porch for you guys to work on before PT.

All for now.
Barbecue John C.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 06:41:50 PM by waxwing »
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

si

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 06:57:58 PM »
Yes am going up the neck, using tab at
http://www.torvund.net/guitar/BluesGuitar/MississippiBlues.asp
It is getting that finger over to the 7th fret 4th string that's hardest.
Am going to keep trying by working through the info you've both given Slack and Waxwing, thankyou both..
The people I was playing with are into rockabilly music, they didn't know this tune but clearly liked it and played it fine including the neat turnaround. I have briefly tried double-tracking this tune doing restrained improvisation with a bottleneck a la Duane Allman on the second guitar and can tell there is potential to do something real good like that.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 07:10:47 PM »
Si, I may have edited my post while you were posting. I was using the word "bar" (measure) when I was thinking "triplet", so I corrected it. I think it reads right now.

Yeah, Olav's got that section tabbed pretty much the way I play it the first time thru. You might want to look at Steve McWilliam's tab about a third of the way down the page, here, for some interesting variations.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 07:42:38 PM »
Yes am going up the neck, using tab at
It is getting that finger over to the 7th fret 4th string that's hardest.

Yep, you are right -- it is a tough part  - I hold the treble with my ring finger, forget the B string and reach over with my pinky - and often times still muff the bass.   :)

The people I was playing with are into rockabilly music, they didn't know this tune but clearly liked it and played it fine including the neat turnaround.

It's a classic 12 bar - harp players love it!

cheers,

si

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 10:31:49 PM »
Have started looking at Steve McWilliam's tab, the variations look relatively small but interesting.
Slack, yes that is exactly the most difficult point. Am slowly getting there.

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 03:47:42 PM »
Interesting posts, Gentlemen!

1. I will learn some mando parts for jug band at PT. Wax, tonite lets write out the chords.
2.I just went over this tune on the McBill tab last nite for the 1st time. I agree with all of you who said it's a bitch! It was my first run through ... I am sure it will get easier in a few weeks :P !!
3.Bye for now, on this topic!
Buzz
4. PS: Alex: you sound like you are having a good time with all the playing you are doing!
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline GhostRider

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
Buzz:

Yeah, 'tis been fun. I've been living in a hotel room in central BC for the last two weeks (working), so have lots of time to practise.

I've even got two originals started (one involves FP's home town).

All the new guitars help.

alex

Tags: William Brown 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal