collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's supposed to be a funny song - Muddy Waters on Hoochie Coochie Man, to Dave Van Ronk, as told to Elijah Wald, Escaping the Delta

Author Topic: Joliet Bound  (Read 1576 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Joliet Bound
« on: March 06, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »
I promised a while back I'd get this up on the BP, too, so after working on Meat Shakin' Woman and Mississippi Blues for a long session, we took a few takes. This was the best of the lot, but a couple spots it seems my fingers were too tired to reach that 5th fret note.-G- Miller sounds great on the bass part. Wish I could get myself to sing Jaw-liet, not Joe-liet.-G-

Dueling Nationals on this one, my Style O and Miller's "Sears" Duolian. Spanish at A for both guitar parts.

Hope ya like it. And please, any suggestions.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Re: Joliet Bound
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »
Cheapfeet:

I thinks Waxy said he plays the tune in Spanish (Open G) tuning, capoed up two frets.

Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:00:26 AM »
Yep, as I said in my original post, both guitars are in Spanish (tuning) at A. No capo, tho' I prefer to tune up. Many people call this tuning open A or open G. Most of the old players called it Spanish, so a lot of us here do the same. Heck, Patton even tuned it up to B, no capo, on ocassion. In A it would be E A E A C# E (bass to treble) or 5 Root 5 Root 3 5, regardless of key.

I can see how you would have trouble playing in Standard. In Spanish, except for the common licks on the 1st string, you are easily moving back and forth between fretted strings and open strings in both parts.

Glad you liked it. This post got buried in a slew of Back Porch posts that day so I don't think many folks saw it. Thanks.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
Really enjoyed listening to this - great picking from both guitars and solid singing!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »
Thanks, Scratch. It is a fun one to play. I get more confident with the vocal everytime, too. Over the weekend I sat down with my partner gre (a music teacher, and she helped me work out thye vocal over the IV chord better. That really helped.

Miller does a god job mixing in different lines in the bass, as, I think, Minnie did.

All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal