collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Jack's house was sittin' in a old cemetary... He used to tell me, 'Boy, sometimes when I be out here, I have them jokers cuttin' up out there in them graveyards.' 'What you be doin' Jack?' 'Boy, playin' that guitar and havin' a durn good time out there' - Jack Owens, remembered by Jimmy Holmes, Living Blues #137

Author Topic: jug and blues events in SF area this weekend  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
jug and blues events in SF area this weekend
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:18:57 AM »
The Hohoppas (Miller Wise on cigar-box mandolin, kazoo, vocals and guitar; Waxwing John Cowan on jug, washboard, guitar and vocals; and Steve Cheseborough on vocals, harp, guitar and washboard) is one of a whole bunch of jug bands playing at the first San Francisco Jug Fest, scheduled for this Sunday, Aug. 27, at the newly renamed Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park. Admission is free. The fest runs 10 am to 7 pm; we play about 5 pm. More details at http://www.jugfest.org
 We were a big hit at the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival, and at the Boiler Room during Port T Blues Week, and we are looking forward to our California debut.
 For a more intimate concert of jug-band and country blues, come to a house concert in Berkeley at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 28. Admission is $15. It includes a solo set of 1920s-30s-style country blues by me, another country-blues set by Cowan with Wise sitting in on a few, and a rousing finale by the Hohoppas! For reservations/directions/more info on the house concert, email Dr. Miller Wise at miller_w@pacbell.net or call him at 510-526-2330.
Cheers, Chezz

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: jug and blues events in SF area this weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:35:46 PM »
This nice pic of us playing, in the wind and fog, at the SF Jug Fest was just posted over at jug.org so I thought I'd link it over here.

What a blast. Probably doing our finale, the Hokum Boy's Mama Don't 'Low (No Easy Ridin') in the shot.

Richard, note my black bamboo twig brushes with round wooden mallets on the back end for striking cowwbell etc.

All for now,
John C.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:36:49 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
Um, excuse me, but is that Waxwing wearing a tie?! You guys must be serious or something. Doesn't that interfere with breathing for jug playing?

Well, I see you're still wearing sandals.  :P

Great pic!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:57:51 PM »
Fabulous pic!

In your Sunday best!  :P

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:09:40 AM »
Wax... very nice and no thimbles.. I thought I was the only one to cheat  :-X

Now here's a serious point.. I don't know what type of washboards are available in the US, but if you look closely at the pic of Washboard Sam his machine is held not only at 90 degrees to what the rest of us do (did) but also the ridges are very close together.. which is what gives that much smoother sound, unlike the UK one where the ridges are spaced one per yard.. any thoughts?

And, I just love the hair, what brand of lacquer do you use  :P
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal