collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When I asked Son House to listen to a particular line from a song by Charley Patton that I could not make out, House laughed. He said "You could sit at Charley's feet and not understand a word he sang." - Jeff Todd Titon, Early Downhome Blues

Author Topic: Why the lack of love for Blind Lemon  (Read 3594 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: Why the lack of love for Blind Lemon
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 08:59:10 AM »
And I do think that Lemon would have been one of the greatest Blues artists ever, even if he had never played the guitar.

Agreed. I love those records where he's singing with the piano backup; he seems totally at ease doing it. (The later "How Long" is a whole other thing.)

Also Lemon's lyrics are amazing. And pop up in some unlikely places later on.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
QED:

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »

I love those records where he's singing with the piano backup; he seems totally at ease doing it.

He does, and it seems to me that stops and starts taht you would expect from his guitar pieces are smoothed out on the piano pieces.  Or am I imagining that.

Great comments.  I just want to add that some of us in Texas are lucky enough to have him on our license plates.  :P

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
I love those records where he's singing with the piano backup; he seems totally at ease doing it.

He does, and it seems to me that stops and starts taht you would expect from his guitar pieces are smoothed out on the piano pieces.  Or am I imagining that.

The exception being 'How Long' where it's a guitar/piano duet....  lots of push and pull there, and they don't really ever seem to find any genuinely common ground (besides the key - oboy...)

On the other piano/voice recordings, I think Lemon just defers, generally speaking, to the accompanist's sense of time.

Rising High Water Blues is one of my favorites - great singing, great piano playing, lovely melancholy mood and best opening line EVER:

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
On the other piano/voice recordings, I think Lemon just defers, generally speaking, to the accompanist's sense of time.

In the main he does, and I think that shows even more what an incredible musician he was in that he was able to do that. I can think of other great singers, Jimmie Rodgers for instance, who sometimes had real trouble time-wise singing to other accompanists.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »

In the main he does, and I think that shows even more what an incredible musician he was in that he was able to do that.

Absolutely - the word "just" was a poor choice and I didn't mean to imply that there was anything at all trivial about his ability to adapt in that way.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »
Also like to say apart from Ari who introduced me to Lemon's music in a big way,

Ari's the bomb when it comes to Lemon!

I have to say one of people who has influenced me via their youtube channel (and CD's) has been Frankie

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL44EA21798C6D3D47

Thanks! Looking at that playlist, I think the parade of facial hair styles is at LEAST as interesting as the music, no? :)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Maybe some people don't like Lemon because they can't stand not knowing what a "follybug" is.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
Lack of knowledge about the follybug hasn't stopped me! Seriously, though, I believe Lemon's guitar work to be as challenging as Blake, in its own sweet way. As for the singing, no comparison.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 06:30:58 AM »
" lot of the research that has been done has not made it to publication for various reasons"

So is the reason this info is still being withheld due to the fact that it is hard to make a buck on it? 

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »
2005 witnessed some discussion concerning BLJ and the published word.

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1760.msg13436;topicseen#msg13436

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »
Can you dance to it though?  ;)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
Maybe some people don't like Lemon because they can't stand not knowing what a "follybug" is.

I think it's an L.A. thing.

" lot of the research that has been done has not made it to publication for various reasons"

So is the reason this info is still being withheld due to the fact that it is hard to make a buck on it? 

Bunker Hill might be able to give a more informed opinion. I wouldn't say withheld though. But anyone working on a book about a blues musician who is not Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters is doing so as a labour of love and knows that even if it did get published, it may only sell a few hundred copies, if they're lucky.

Paul Swinton has been working on a book about Lemon for some years. Still no word on that, that I'm aware of.

Paul Oliver produced a manuscript on Texas Blues that was potentially to be a collaboration with Mack McCormick and that has never seen the light of day.

I can't recall whether David Evans has more to come on Lemon.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
I think it's an L.A. thing.

LOL!

No one is biting Chris.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
Hi all,
I wouldn't worry too much about the research on Lemon not being available.  The music is available, and that's worth more than any amount of biographical research.  I'm dubious as to whether any major discoveries could be made about Lemon's life at this juncture in any event.
All best,
Johnm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal