collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He liked the sound of the cash register - Columbia A & R man Frank Walker's wife, commenting on Walker's taste in music, quoted in Paul Oliver's Songsters & Saints

Author Topic: Turning bad into good  (Read 628 times)

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
Turning bad into good
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
As I emerge from my pain med haze I realized I have a great opportunity. I fractured my tibia in 2 places and my fibula in 1 at the ankle in a really dumb work accident.
Now I have 5-6 weeks of time to practice playing music and learning a new instrument. About a week before my injury a friend gave me a banjo (an older 5 string Aria). I'm looking for some resources to learn some beginning banjo tunes and right hand practice drills for both banjo and guitar.

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Turning bad into good
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
The UR text from which almost every Banjo player north of the Mason Dixon line worth their salt learned.

http://www.amazon.com/5-String-Banjo-Music-Sales-America/dp/1597731641
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Gary, ouch, sorry to hear about your tibia and fibula (tibialations? fibulations?). But it does sound like a good opportunity for playing as you say.

There is quite a lot of good material to learn from on YouTube. It depends where you are at technique-wise and what styles you want to play. But if you search "clawhammer banjo lesson" you will find a lot. There are a bunch that cover the basic strokes, exercises etc. And move up from there.

If you want two- and three- finger style lessons, then our own banjochris has several great lessons on youtube that are definitely something you want to check out.

If you are already playing clawhammer and want to get a few more challenging tunes under your belt, David Bragger, Chris's Sausage Grinder conspirator, has some really nice lessons up as well, with some great Hobart Smith stuff.

Also, check out http://www.banjohangout.org/. Lots of info in there.

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
Start out with Wade Ward. Good clawhammer and excellent 3-finger.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
Start out with Wade Ward. Good clawhammer and excellent 3-finger.

it's t'other way 'round, frailer! uncle wade's three finger is nice (hobart for me, or frank jenkins - would that there were more), but his downstroke...  my my! king of the BIG fingernail sound.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
I have a great opportunity.

sorry about the accident....  there's so much on youtube it's flat out unbelievable. heal up and learn cluck old hen at the same time!

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Frankie's right. I started out with Charlie Poole for fingerstyle myself.
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Lyndvs

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
This book by Miles Krassen helped me a lot with my Clawhammer years ago.Also you can get free online tutorials like
"rocket science banjo" and the "how and tao"of five string banjo etc..I`ve not used these but i understand they are well worth while(both are highly thought of over at the banjo hangout).
      I agree with frailer and frankie -Wade Ward is It when it comes to clawhammer.Recently I have been very much enjoying listening to Sydna Myers-there are a few tracks on the classic Clawhammer banjo series by county and a few on high atmosphere-but the field recorders collective cd of him and his brother Fulton(fiddle) is superb.They rank amongst the best banjo/fiddle duets i`ve heard.
 All the best with your recovery.lyndvs

Offline Christopher Davis-Shannon

• Howdy!
    • cdavisshannon.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »
I second Pete Seeger's how to play the five string banjo.  Essential Reading.  I also bought the how and Tao and it's okay but seems a bit hastily written to me; I learned a lot more from watching people play on YouTube, next best thing to getting a teacher.

Tags: banjo 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal