collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Robert was loading his gear into the van when he dropped an amplifier onto his left hand and broke his forefinger. The second night he just reinvented all his chords for three fingers. Most amazing thing I ever did see - Robert Junior Lockwood, by Chris Smith on prewarblues list

Author Topic: Dan Gellert and Ry Cooder  (Read 2293 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Dan Gellert and Ry Cooder
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »

Offline eric

Re: Dan Gellert and Ry Cooder
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
Damn...
--
Eric

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:08 AM »
Ole Dan has more funk in his music than a lot of the younger folks trying to get it on.  This is great.  They sound good together.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:23:16 AM »
Those guys are such natural players that the rhythms just fall off them... Nice old Gibson Ry's playing as well.  Great stuff.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »
Ry should be dragging Dan out of that pub in Dayton and straight into a recording studio. It's high time we had another Dan Gellert record.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
I'm sure that'll be one of the outcomes for Mr. Gellert. Boy ya just gotta like that Ry Cooder don'tcha? Seems like a really good fellow...a lefty too! On the political spectrum that is. ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:29:30 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:53:25 PM »
Excellent all round!  8)

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
Dan Gellert has got to be my favorite extant fiddle and banjo player. I know some of his banjo playing has been posted in the "Musical Interests on Youtube" thread, but I don't think any of his fiddling has prior to this. This video of him doing Burl Hammons' Old Sledge just floors me:

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
Hi Lastfirstface - that one you posted ended up being Nancy Dalton. (Also good!) Here's Old Sledge. Dan's rhythmic sense is inspiring.

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »
Thanks Uncle Bud - that's about as good as it gets. How did you happen to stumble upon that video?

I say - Ry and Dan for PTCBW_2013 faculty. Of course, Ry would have to be booked in under a pseudonym - perhaps as Dan's sideman, Weenie McCooder? I think he's ready for the experience. Us old guys need to stick together.

And yes - it's high time Dan gellert put out another masterful CD, with lots of his fantastic banjo playing too.
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:57:10 AM »
Thanks Uncle Bud - that's about as good as it gets. How did you happen to stumble upon that video?

I say - Ry and Dan for PTCBW_2013 faculty. Of course, Ry would have to be booked in under a pseudonym - perhaps as Dan's sideman, Weenie McCooder? I think he's ready for the experience. Us old guys need to stick together.

And yes - it's high time Dan gellert put out another masterful CD, with lots of his fantastic banjo playing too.

If you'd asked me a month ago, I might remember where I found the Time video. No longer! The other stuff is material David Bragger of Sausage Grinder, banjochris's band, posted some time ago. Ry would have fun at PT.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal