collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Count up the troubles of the white man and then those of the black, and the second list will always be longer by one entry - Tony Russell, Blacks Whites and Blues, p.102

Author Topic: Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Sarah Jane

Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »
-
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:41:36 PM by Sarah Jane »
I'm a-puffin' an' blowin' .....

http://cigaretteblues.livejournal.com

Offline Dr. G

Re: Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »
If you don't already have it: "Riding the Blinds" by Eddie Mapp...IMHO the greatest country blues harp performance of all time....

And, in a similar vein, any and all of Sonny Terry's great uptempo whoopin' & squallin' & fox-chasin' showpieces [he typically included one such on every one of his scores of albums].

And for good measure (in a guitarish vein), how about Jo Ann Kelley's Blue Goose reissue in which she is sublimely accompanied by the likes of John Miller, Woody Mann, and John Fahey, on a terrific compilation of slightly "off-the-beaten-track" CB's?

Happy skies,

Dr. G

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:21:46 AM »
Not in any way blues related, but my favorite disks for sitting on the beach under a palm tree are Rounder CD 1052, "Vintage Hawaiian Music: Steel Guitar Masters 1928 - 1934" and Rounder CD 1053"Vintage Hawaiian Music: The Great Singers 1928 - 1934".  I don't know how readily they're available where you are.  I suppose JSP's "It's Hotter In Hawaii" would be an acceptable substitute.  Just make sure you rip all the Sol Ho'opi'i and Jim & Bob tracks when you're making your selections from that set!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
Well... you have to bring EASY by Jimmy DeBerry & Walter Horton (Sun Records 1953) one of the greatest harp records ever.
Yeah, sublime, sublime. The tune, as noted when reissued on a UK bootleg LP in 1965, is Ivory Joe Hunter's 1950 hit I Almost Lost My Mind.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:05:24 AM »
Not in any way blues related, but my favorite disks for sitting on the beach under a palm tree are Rounder CD 1052, "Vintage Hawaiian Music: Steel Guitar Masters 1928 - 1934" and Rounder CD 1053"Vintage Hawaiian Music: The Great Singers 1928 - 1934".  I don't know how readily they're available where you are.  I suppose JSP's "It's Hotter In Hawaii" would be an acceptable substitute.  Just make sure you rip all the Sol Ho'opi'i and Jim & Bob tracks when you're making your selections from that set!

And don't forget - King Benny rules!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal