collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...traditional musicians, too, often try to "get it down just like" an admired player picks a particular tune. This is not slavish imitation for its own sake but rather a passionate desire to get at the very sinews of the style, based on the realization that the impact of traditional music depends on detail and an evocative context... - Art Rosenbaum, Old-Time Mountain Banjo

Author Topic: Makin' Whoopee/Mississippi Blues  (Read 1519 times)

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
Makin' Whoopee/Mississippi Blues
« on: December 11, 2005, 02:51:23 PM »
Well, I'm on a roll now.  I heard Ray Charles' version of this on 'Genius Live in Concert', which is one of those records you want to learn every song that's on it, and this is the arrangement I came up with.  I do it as medley with Mississippi Blues for obvious reasons.  I accidently threw in another A part from Miss. Blues, but I was going and after many blown takes, I decided to just kept going.  It is a little long, so I had to cut the quality, and thanks for listening.  Man this recording stuff is harder that performing live.  When you are performing, you just roll on and on and on, and it doesn't matter.

Mike

Jeff in Montana

Re: Makin' Whoopee/Mississippi Blues
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
Love it!  Great job - that Miss Blues has been on my "trying to perfect" list for a long time.  I can play it OK, but not sing it AND play it.  I like how you used it for a break in that tune.  Great idea.  Again, great job, I enjoyed it.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 05:18:55 AM »
I love that tune (Making Whoopee, I mean) - I love your guitar arrangment, really works well.  Thanks much!

tom

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 05:01:34 PM »
...Mike, this is really nice, I really like that Ray style applied to guitar arangements, even I can't do it myself  ::)  ...have you ever listened to Steve Mann?  ...your arrangement sounds a lot like what he was doing with guitar ...

Offline eagle rockin daddy

• Oh Glory How Happy I Am
    • myspace site
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »
thanks one, I have never heard of Steve Mann until just recently when Rolly Brown was talking about him on the flatpick-l email list.  He must be some player and Rolly loves his playing.  Apparently he has just re-surfaced after many years, and has released a new cd.  thanks for the compliments.

Mike

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal