collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I think I heard the Pea Vine when it blowed - Charlie Patton, Pea Vine Blues

Author Topic: Euroweenie 2013  (Read 6918 times)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Euroweenie 2013
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »
It's that time again to begin planning for the next Euroweenie gathering.

We are aiming at a similar timing ahead of the Easter as before but the venue is up for debate, if anyone has any viable alternative suggestions then please post them as soon as possible as this is the best time to be booking to get a decent deal. We see the only real issue with Fawlty Towers to be its accessibilty.

Our great panjandrum, Richard, is currently in the midst of moving off the island so we may have to do some of the legwork he has undertaken in previous years.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Re: Euroweenie 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:17 AM »
Where's panjandrum moving to...maybe he can check out venues near his new address???

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:40:01 AM »
The West Country !

..yes it suits me  :D

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
Obviously suits me too, but isnt the most central / accesible spot...

I have no real issues with the existing venue.  It largely does all we need in a fairly pleasant fashion.  Not many hotels, I suspect, would be quite so easy going about bringing our own spirits either...

That said, they're not perfect, and do get a bit crabby occasionally, which they really shouldnt with paying customers.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:17 AM »
I've found the people at our usual hotel in the New Forest to be friendly and helpful. Also, as we know from past experience, some hotels will want to charge us for using their conference room, but this is not the case at our current venue. The surroundings are certainly pleasant and I usually get a walk or two in, including going into the village for a pub lunch with Prof. Scratchy, Bunker Hill, etc. on the Saturday.

I must admit to being in two minds about a change. On the one hand, a change definitely is as good as a rest and, more importantly, it might throw up somewhere more convenient for a number of people wanting to attend. On the other, I tend to think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We know what to expect and how to get there and whilst not exactly 5-star, I find the standard and usual warm welcome more than acceptable. And if we move - what will happen to the BRICK??!!!  :o
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:59 AM »
Good point about the brick...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
That's it then - the brick clinches it! On the other hand.....we could mount an operation to recover the brick.
Thanks for the thoughts so far, as I said, the only real downside to Fawlty Towers is accessibility from points north or west.

Richard is not moving to the West Country, he's moving to Bath (think about it).

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »
What is this inside joke about 'the brick'?

That's a rhetorical question, don't tell me, I realize it's on a "need-to-know" basis.

Whatever it is I think you really need to go get the brick, whatever it is, so someone go get it.  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:32:55 PM by Rivers »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:14:08 AM »
The Brick

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=1404

Access from the West to the New Forest isn't too bad, but it must be a drag from the North (and, indeed, Scotland...)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:56:03 AM »
And here's why Scratchy got so excited about it (as the first ever winner).

http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=1305
Barbecue Bob

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
The brick was awarded a "a substantial prize"  in 2011 for the blues quiz winner, in 2012 for best dressed Euroweenie. It lives at the hotel and holds the soul of Euroweenie..............

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
Phil - please show a little respect: when referring to the Euroweenie prize, "Brick" should always be capitalised or even written entirely in capitals!  :o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:57:42 AM by Parlor Picker »
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
As great panjandrum in chief, I like probably many of you are in two minds about a move and the if it ain't broke aspect certainly does apply. However purely on selfish grounds, having lived in Dorset for a few years I find it the most inaccessible place and HATE that jouney from Poole to Bath\Bristol which for a little over 60 miles generally wastes two hours, should you decide to go the shorter route via Salisbury that will add another two hours!

Ideally an equivalent of the faded gentility of The Lawns within striking distance of the M4 would be good, so lets get thinking.

On the home front the house move has slowed to a standstill due to a typical Guernsey type boundary dispute and seems to be taking most of my time. That's a pity since the other house is all but finished and most of the furniture moved over but for various reasons we can't yet move in.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
I'm open to suggestions, Richard (within reason, of course). Hope you get your move sorted out soon.
Barbecue Bob

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:49:59 AM »
What about Cheltenham area. Then M Roach esq would have no excuse for not turning up!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal