collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I've been to Hell and back in - I bought a round trip ticket. To Hell, Norway that is. Good little blues festival, but I just couldn't get into the Norwegian band names - Blind Arne Bjornson and the Tundra Gators? - Jerry Ricks, Port Townsend 99

Author Topic: Honeyboy  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Honeyboy
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »
I had the pleasure of seeing Honeyboy again last night on what is being claimed ot be his last UK tour.

I think I benefited from catching him in the middle of the tour this time, rather than on the first date as I did last time around.  Last time, whilst I enjoyed the gig, he was very shaky at times, and I was somewhat tense throughout the set- hoping he wouldn't hit another slightly embarrassing bum note.

This time he'd plainly settled into his stride by the time he arrived in Norwich and was solid throughout.  Still has a fantastic voice too.

One thing that ocurred to me whilst carefully watching his left hand for ideas, was that no one seems to do any Honeyboy covers.  He has some distinctive songs and sounds- does anyone do any of his songs, or know anyone who does?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Honeyboy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
You bring up a good point, Slim.  I don't know that I've ever heard any of Honeyboy's pieces covered or transcribed, and they are well worth the effort.  That "Worried Life Blues" that was recorded by Alan Lomax, John Work and Lewis Jones in the Library of Congress/Fisk University field recordings is one of the most spectacular pieces in G standard ever recorded.  Honeyboy's right hand work on it is stunning.  And of course he's done a lot of strong stuff since then. 

I always prefer to see him play solo.  Even really good and experienced musicians tend to try unconsciously to straighten out his phrasing and it has the effect of drawing his irregular lengths to your attention.  When he plays solo, it just comes across as his style.
all best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal