collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
There are these rare moments when musicians together touch something sweeter than they've ever found before in rehearsals or performance, beyond the merely collaborative or technically proficient, when their expression becomes as easy and graceful as friendship or love. This is when they give us a glimpse of what we might be, of our best selves, and of an impossible world in which you give everything you have to others, but lose nothing of yourself. Out in the real world there exist detailed plans, visionary projects for peaceable realms, all conflicts resolved, happiness for everyone, for ever – mirages for which people are prepared to die and kill. Christ's kingdom on earth, the workers' paradise, the ideal Islamic state. But only in music, and only on rare occasions, does the curtain actually lift on this dream of community, and it is tantalizingly conjured, before fading away with the last notes - Ian McEwan, from his novel Saturday

Author Topic: Euroweenie 2010  (Read 22710 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Re: Euroweenie 2010
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »
Whilst I think of it, there is this place, but the New forest it ain't! It's the place that Sonya has used in the past, rumour has it that it's had a big facelift in the bedroom dept, I expect they would do a deal on rates and a room.

http://www.southmarstonhotel.com/

Keep thinking..
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »
Hmm not very convenient for anyone Im guessing- and presumably Bristol is nearest airport?

Its been nice to have relaxing surroundings on weenie weekends- so it would be a shame to be in Swindon.  Sometimes you need some trees, or the sea rather than a dim room with old guitars and bearded men!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »
I'll go with the majority decision (within reason!), but still favour the New Forest again, which should be better than downtown Swindon.  Norfolk Slim has local knowledge (albeit possibly a little outdated, as he moved away), as do Bob Long and Natterjack, who are local lads, so maybe they can come up with some ideas.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »
I haven't been near Romsey for at least a decade but seem to recall a fair number of hotels there. I guess, given the location, they'd be somewhat pricey.

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »
There must be a stack of hotels with space in them during march around Bournemouth- but sorting the wheat from the chaff (and there is some very serious chaff!) would be tricky...

Closer to my old haunts, the St Leonards Hotel might be worth investigation- still only 30 mins from soton airport, though certainly not as picturesque as the forest (its on a dual carriageway...)  Close to Ringwood and all sorts of country parks and things though.  Somewhere where shops and food are within walking distance would be better though- and I have no idea what their rates are...

Or even Wimborne Minster...  http://www.thekingsheadhotel.com/

I have to declare however, that these are all particularly convenient for me and are suggested on the basis that I know of them, rather than because they will be the best options!  I shall leave it to others to make a more objective assessment...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:32:37 AM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Slo-Blo

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 05:17:37 AM »
I would just like to add a few words in favour of the South Marston Hotel at Swindon. It has very good transport links, it's just off the M4 ( easy links to M5 / M6 for  the NW & SW ), it's easily accessable from the North & Midlands ( M40, Oxford ring road, A420 ), Bristol Airport ain't that far and Heathrow is just down the M4.

Sonya has organised roughly two open mic acoustic blues weekends a year there, for some years, the staff are friendly and we've jammed into the early hours on each occasion, with no problems and at very reasonable cost.

It would also be nice to encourage the new hotel management into thinking that these 'Blues Weekends' are a 'Good Thing'

There is also the possibility of recruiting more Weenies from the usual 'Swindon Blues' attendee's.

I will leave everyone to ponder on these thoughts.

Graham

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
I am still in favour of New Forest and have rung a couple but at the very mention of musac they throw their hands in the air in horror  :-X

I mentioned Swindon to see what the reaction would be and it was predictable having been there myself, now if it were to be transported..

The Crown have yet to respond to my email so meantime let's keep looking. 

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 02:11:33 AM »
I've never been to the Swindon event, but I understand a few people were not too keen on the venue/location.  I still favour the New Forest if possible.

Also, whilst we always like to attract new Weenies to the fold, as I understand it, we are not trying to put on a large scale event.  The Euroweenie Weekend is an opportunity for some of us "regulars" to actually meet face-to-face, rather than in cyberspace.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:15:52 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
PP a sage reply as ever, I think in retrospect we must try and keep it Hampshire way.

No disrespect to the other gatherings but my original intention in starting the weenie event was to be slightly more social than a never ending open mic and besides, in all honesty the regular weenies do come over as a slightly different breed  :-X

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 03:42:40 AM »
I'm inclined to agree Richard.  Weenie events seem to have a rather different character to some of the others many of us are familiar with- and thats a good thing.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Good news.......

But first the bad, The Crown didn't want to know, so they have been forcibly abdicated  :o I suspect the truth is they didn't want us!

Trying to find somewhere is not too bad untill the mention of live music and blues then all communication seems to fizzle out. Wonder why?

The good news is that I am on the track of a place somewhere New Forest way and they say they will send rates, I will update as and when.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
Trying to find somewhere is not too bad untill the mention of live music and blues

Then tell them that it's a disco convention and you'll all be doing the hustle to the sounds of a DJ spinning Donna Summer and the Village People!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
Tell them you're going to be playing acoustic folk music. Just don't tell 'em it's Black folk's music. They hear "blues" and think wailing electric instruments with pounding drums. I'm sure their envisioning a parking lot full of Harleys.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Norfolk Slim

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »
Certainly seems odd that theyd be bothered by middle aged bearded men with acoustic instruments. I can understand concern about mics, strats etc- but not our stuff ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:31:00 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »
How can they tell via email or over the phone that you are a bunch of middle-aged bearded men. I'm tellin' ya. These people have selective hearing and very different sensibilities. They are thinking liability, first and foremost. The word "blues" is a liability, they don't even hear the "Middle-aged bearded men playing acoustic" that comes before it. Just tell them you're a "family gathering" playing "folk music" and they'll be all "whales and fairies and a-hey-nonny-nonny" and you'll be in. Trying to reason with them and get them to see the world as you do is a losing tactic.

Wax
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:11:31 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal