collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Before I'd stand to see my baby go down I'd take off all my clothes and walk the streets in my mornin' gown - Ramblin' Willard Thomas, Hard Dallas Blues

Author Topic: Smoky Babe & Herman E. Johnson--Louisiana Country Blues, Arhoolie CD440  (Read 2424 times)

Offline ryan

I just picked up a cd last week called Louisiana country blues on Arhoolie cat # 440.  They put 2 lps on one cd (recorded circa 60-61).  The first half is Smoky Babe and the other is Herman E. Johnson.  I really enjoyed both artists alot and I loved Smoky's voice.  I work in a cd store and the cd had been calling out to me for a few months so I'm glad I finally picked it up.  I bought Smokey's other cd reissued on Fantasy which I thought was good as well, but I like the Arhoolie release better.
Take care,
    ryan
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:59:52 AM by uncle bud »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: smoky babe
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:49:44 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the thumbs up on the Arhoolie Smoky Babe. I have the Hottest Brand Goin' CD on Fantasy and think it's great, so will definitely look for this one. I don't think I've heard Herman E. Johnson before.

Anyone wanting to hear samples of this record can check out the Arhoolie page.

Offline ryan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 12:58:16 AM »
cool, I also enjoyed hottest brand goin' but the arhoolie release just hit me at the right time.  I really enjoyed Herman's laid back slide playing as well as his vocals.  I would also suggest (if you don't already have it) A Mance Lipscomb that came out a little while ago on rhino handmade.  It is entitled "trouble in mind" and I believe was a limited release of 2500 copies.  Beautiful packaging as well.. take care
Ryan

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:55:13 AM »
Co-incidence or what? I passed JMM  the Arhoolie at the EBA Bluesweek.
Herman Johnson has got IMHO the most miserable voice in the blues. I defy you to listen to Depression Blues without becoming depressed!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 06:33:33 AM »
For completists, I notice that Smoky Babe also has a couple tracks on the Arhoolie disc Country Negro Jam Session. Realaudio samples on the Arhoolie page. Sounds like a great disc actually, although the title might force me to mail order it only rather than bring it to a cash register in a store!  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal