collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
As Miles Davis introduced modal improvisation Coltrane complained that he found it difficult to end his solo. Miles suggested: "Try removing the mouthpiece from your mouth"

Author Topic: Paramount and Public Domain  (Read 1204 times)

Offline sandmountainslim

• Howdy!
Paramount and Public Domain
« on: February 26, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »
Are most of the Paramount recordings in the PD?  I had assumed they all were because all are available for download on archive.org and other free and legal PD sites. 
I made myself a Paramount CD-R box set from music files on archive.org which I am enjoying very much but I had a poster on another forum tell me it was a "grey area" and I could in fact now be a pirate for creating my Paramount set for my own use. 
What's the real deal?  Is it a grey area?  Are the recordings PD?   
I did the same thing for my collection with the Collins and Harlan Edison Cylinder recordings because I figured they are SURELY in the PD and finding Collins and Harlan CD's is not an easy thing either way about.   
Educate me if you would be so kind.   Thanks.

Offline oddenda

Re: Paramount and Public Domain
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »
slim -

Unfortunately, that is an unanswerable question, to be perfectly honest. Many claim, many fail - personally, if you are doing stuff for yourself and not for profit, you;re probably OK. But, one never know, do one!

pbl

Offline sandmountainslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
Why is there confusion on whether it is pd or not? I know the old Victor recordings of Jimmie Rodgers and the Carter family are still under copyright in the United States but not so in Europe.   Why is no one certain about the Paramount? Is it because the company went bankrupt?

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »
Slim -

Bankruptcy isn't the main point. There are folks who claim to have purchased the rights, regardless: John Steiner for one back in the day, more recently, the late George Buck (Jazzology). The true answer is that nobody really knows what the legal state is, regardless of pd laws, etc. It's a seriously grey area that keeps everybody chattering!

pbl

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
Copyright laws vary from country to country with respect to what's in the Public Domain. And of course, who holds the copyright to individual songs or sides is another matter. Like Peter says, it's a real murky area.

Tags: copyright 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal