collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I took my baby to meet that mornin' train, and the blues come down, baby, like showers of rain - Charlie Patton, Pony Blues

Author Topic: Sleepy John Estes Lyrics  (Read 67090 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Sleepy John Estes Lyrics
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:04 PM »
Hi all,
Sleepy John recorded "Married Woman Blues" with Hammie Nixon on harmonica.  It is an odd tune, musically.  It is so pared back in terms of its harmony and melody that it is almost as if it is written in code; it's very close to being static.  Hammie plays a signature lick in the response bars, the third and fourth bars of each four bar phrase, that hearkens back to some of the earlier songs that Sleepy John recorded with Yank Rachell and Jab Jones that employed signature licks in the same fashion.  The sound on "Married Woman Blues" is almost as if Sleepy John and Hammie were trying to conserve energy.  It's hard to decide if it was a "make weight" tune, or simply in a deep trance.  It begins with one of the odd 8-bar stanzas that Sleepy John also used in "Down South Blues" and "Who's Been Telling You Buddy Brown Blues", both of which were recorded around the same time.

Now, don't never take a married woman to be your friend
   She will get all your money, play her same man back again

Now, a married woman, she always been my crave
   Now, a married woman, always been my crave
   Now, a married woman gon' carry me to my grave

Now, I looked down the railroad 'til my eyes got green and cold
   Now, I looked down the railroad 'til my eyes got green and sore
   If you don't come tomorrow, the next day will be my goal

Now, it musta be train time, I hear the whistle blow (2)
   Now, it blows just like it ain't gonna blow no more

Now, just as sure as the grass on this earth grow green (2)
   I ain't crazy about no woman that I ever seen

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:51:55 PM by Johnm »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2005, 05:05:42 AM »
I've been busting my brains listening to this for half an hour and, don't laugh too loud, but it sounds to me like:

Go down on State Street, get a woman (f)or a pot of stew

When I first read this I laughed so loud that you must have heard me across the Atlantic.  But after a few dozen more listenings, you may have something there.  John pronounces "pot" more like "pote".  This interpretation of the lyric does make some sense, as John would be boasting that his housekeeping abilities are something that women find attractive.  I like it, and am happy to go with this interpretation unless and until someone comes up with something better.

Apologies for that initial guffaw...   :)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2005, 10:49:14 AM »
Hi all,
It sounds like Sleepy John is saying "for a post due" on "Clean Up At Home" to me, but it makes no sense, and "for a pot of stew" does make some sense, particularly with the spin that dj has put on it, so until we come up with something more convincing I will make the change.  I do like the interpretation because it goes along with the general theme of self-improvement in "Clean Up At Home", something you don't encounter all that often in blues lyrics.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2005, 10:56:07 AM »
It sounds like Sleepy John is saying "for a post due" on "Clean Up At Home" to me, but it makes no sense, and "for a pot of stew" does make some sense, particularly with the spin that dj has put on it, so until we come up with something more convincing I will make the change.? I do like the interpretation because it goes along with the general theme of self-improvement in "Clean Up At Home", something you don't encounter all that often in blues lyrics.
I think it rather surreal, all the same. ;D

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2005, 11:53:25 PM »
Hi all,
Sleepy John recorded "Stone Blind Blues" in 1948, evidently for the Ora Nelle label, out of Chicago.? He is joined on the song by Hammie Nixon on harmonica, and someone playing either a bass drum or an unusually thuddy and toneless washtub bass; it's very hard to tell.? I checked and this cut is not on the Document releases of his complete pre-War recordings (with good reason, it's not pre-War).? I found it on a CD on the completeBLUES label, an English label run by Snapper Music, and it's number is SBLUESCD028.? I purchased the CD at a local Tower Records store and it cost under $10.00.? With 25 titles, it's a good deal if you can find it.
Musically, "Stone Blind Blues" works off of the 16-bar "Careless Love" archetype, as did "Floating Bridge Blues", that Sleepy John recorded several years earlier.? Somewhat surprisingly, Sleepy John capos up and plays "Stone Blind Blues" out of the G position in standard tuning, pitched at B.? He makes some interesting modifications to the chord progression, as follows.? The chord changes as they are normally played are shown in parentheses, the ones Sleepy John played are non-parenthetic.

|? ? ? ? ? I? ? ? ? ? ?|? ? ? ? ? I (V7)? ? ? |? ? ? ? ?I? ? ? ? ? ?|? ? ? ? I? ? ? ? ? |

|? ? ? ? IV (I)? ? ? |? ? ? ? ?IV (I)? ? ? ?|? ? ? ?V7? ? ? ? ? |? ? I (V7)? ? ?|

|? ? ? ? ?I? ? ? ? ? ? |? ? ? ? ? I (I7)? ? ? ?|? ? ? ? ?IV? ? ? ? ?|? ? I (IV)? ? ?|

|? ? ? ?V7 (I)? ? ? |? ? ? ? ? ?V7? ? ? ? ?|? ? ? ? ? I? ? ? ? ? ?|? ? I? ? ? ? ? ?|

Sleepy John had evidently lost sight in his one eye that previously had vision shortly before this song was recorded (he had lost sight in one eye as a child).? He sounds desolate as he sings about his situation.? The third verse is especially tough.? I would appreciate any help with the portions of the lyrics enclosed by bent brackets.

? ?Now, I been well-warned and I didn't take heed in time
? ?Now, I been well-warned, didn't take heed in time
? ?Now, I been well-warneded [sic], I didn't take heed in time
? ?I done lost my health and gone stone blind

? ?Now I'm 'ant to know your friends when you get down
? ?Now I want to know your friends, you get down (2)
? ?They be always askin' 'bout you, don't never come around

? ?Now, when you lose your eyesight, your best friend gone (3)
? ?Your [? ??? ?],? just people want to fool with you wrong

? ?Now, my mother and my father are both dead and gone (2)
? ?Now, my mother and my father, they both dead and gone
? ?You know they left me 'round here, still stumblin' along

? ?Now, I was standin' on the corner, close 'side the wall (2)
? ?Now, I was standin' on the corner, I was close 'side the wall
? ?Only way I c'd tell my friend I had to catch [these? ??? ? ]

Edited 12/13 to pick up line from Bunker Hill

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:52:42 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2005, 01:39:26 AM »
Sleepy John recorded "Stone Blind Blues" in 1948, evidently for the Ora Nelle label, out of Chicago.?
Just on a point of information Bernie and Red Abrams, who owned Maxwell Radio and Records Store, were also behind Ora Nelle. About 35 years ago Bernie sold George Paulus a whole bunch of his unissued acetates of which one was the Estes. To quote Abrams "...everyone came in to make records to give a girlfriend or as a demo..." FWIW Abrams didn't recall who the washtub bassist or Estes's harmonica playing friend were.

I have the 70s Barrelhouse LP from which the Estes was undoutedly dubbed so I'll see if 'first generation' reissue is any clearer.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:41:57 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2005, 03:41:59 AM »
Quote from: Bunker Hill link=topic=1763.msg14321#msg14321
I have the 70s Barrelhouse LP from which the Estes was undoutedly dubbed so I'll see if 'first generation' reissue is any clearer.
It's no clearer there, however Estes did an almost word for word recreation for Pete Welding in 1962 (Lost My Eyesight) and fwiw here's how the missing sections are sung on that:

that day [?] people an' friends won't fool with y' long
(? is run into 'people' and just can't fathom it.)

and

Only way I? could tell my friend I had to catch the bus

Perhaps this will aid a relisten John.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2005, 06:58:56 AM »
John:

It looks like the CD in question, "Someday Baby Blues," is readily available--at the usual web stores, at least. Pricegrabber.com listed about 1/2 dozen. AllDirect.com has it for $6.65.

Here's the track list:

1. Broken Hearted, Ragged And Dirty Too   
 2. Floating Bridge   
 3. Lawyer Clark Blues   
 4. Harlem Bound   
 5. Divin' Duck Blues   
 6. Liquor Store Blues   
 7. Watcha Doin'   
 8. Working Man Blues   
 9. Someday Baby Blues   
 10. Girl I Love She Got Long Curly Hair, The   
 11. Special Agent Blues   
 12. Easin' Back To Tennessee   
 13. Stone Blind Blues   
 14. Milk Cow Blues   
 15. Clean Up At Home   
 16. Tell Me How About It   
 17. I Ain't Gonna Be Worried No More   
 18. Jack And Jill Blues   
 19. You Shouldn't Do That   
 20. Stop That Thing   
 21. Hobo Jungle Blues   
 22. Brownsville Blues   
 23. Drop Down Mama   
 24. Everybody Oughta Make A Change   
 25. Time Is Drawing Near   

As you say, its a good deal. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2005, 08:00:42 AM »
It looks like the CD in question, "Someday Baby Blues," is readily available--at the usual web stores, at least. Pricegrabber.com listed about 1/2 dozen. AllDirect.com has it for $6.65.
Harlem Bound?is the other Ora Nelle acetate Paulus purchased.
None of the super Sam Phillips recordings present, can't for the life of me understand why. [written tongue firmly in cheek] ;D

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2005, 11:36:36 PM »
Hi all,
Sleepy John recorded "Time Is Drawing Near" backed by the solo flat-picked guitar of Robert Lee McCoy (Robert Nighthawk).? McCoy is playing out of C position in standard tuning, and is really nifty here, with some of the more uptown-sounding playing out of C position this side of Gene Campbell.
"Time Is Drawing Near" is a 12-bar chorus blues, a format that Sleepy John really liked.? He was in sensational voice here, but his enunciation is, if anything, a bit harder to understand than usual.? He pronounces "drawing" with the added "r" that is often found inserted between consecutive syllables when the first ends with and the second starts with a vowel sound.? In the third verse, he pronounces "winter", "wunter", with a soft "u" sound, and pronounces "budding", "burding".? Any help with the bent bracketed phrases would be greatly appreciated.? I really like these lyrics; Sleepy John seems to have been more likely to drop into this kind of contemplative, philosophical mood than just about any blues singer I can call to mind.

? ?Now, it used to be the time, be gettin' two bucks a day
? ?But now we gettin' fifty cent, run 'em down for ['alf our] pay
? ?CHORUS:? Time, time is drawring near
? ?Now, can't you see?? More and more ev'y year

? ?Now, I 'member back in time, 'fore we got grown
? ?We daren't let sundown catch us away from home
? ?CHORUS

? ?Now, my mother used to say, "The sign will be."
? ?We couldn't tell summer from winter, no more by the budding of the trees
? ?CHORUS

? ?Now, it used to be the time, get a corn crop in March
? ?But now we can't get one in June, and neither July
? ?CHORUS

? ?Now, used to go to the church, just to work for soul
? ?But now we go, talk about one another's clothes
? ?CHORUS

Edited 12/10 to pick up corrections from Bunker Hill

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:53:31 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2005, 02:09:52 AM »
I really like these lyrics; Sleepy John seems to have been more likely to drop into this kind of contemplative, philosophical mood than just about any blues singer I can call to mind.
Absolutely, a touch of Working Man's Blues about it. FWWI I think he's singing:

But now we gettin' fifty cent, rather than drawin' proper pay

and

Now, my mother used to say, the sign will be

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2005, 09:47:13 AM »
Hi Bunker Hill,
Thanks very much for the help with the lyrics.  "The sign will be" is definitely on the money, and I have made the change.  Do you have a post-rediscovery recording of Sleepy John doing this one?  The reason I ask is that "rather than drawin' proper pay" makes great sense, but I can't get there from the phonetics I'm hearing on this version.  I will keep listening.  It took me a very long time to hear "girl" in the first verse of Ishmon Bracey's "Suitcase Full Of Blues".  Did Sleepy John do "Time Is Drawing Near" in his later years?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2005, 11:05:29 AM »
Did Sleepy John do "Time Is Drawing Near" in his later years?
Yes for Bob Koester in 1962 and remained unissued until Delmark revamped the Brownsville Blues LP (613) as a CD and added that along with five others. Can't lay hand to it at present (misfiled?), anybody else out there have the CD?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2005, 12:11:52 AM »
Hi all,
My discographical information shows that Sleepy John Estes recorded "You Shouldn't Do That" with Son Bonds playing guitar, Raymond Thomas doing "imitation bass", and Sleepy John playing kazoo in addition to guitar and handling the vocal lead.? The song is a bit of a departure from Sleepy John's normal repertoire.? It is a kind of jump blues, with Son Bonds and Raymond Thomas (I assume) singing a response line of, "Shouldn't say that, you shouldn't say that.", at the conclusion of each of Sleepy John's lines.? This, taken in combination with Son Bonds' swingy, four-to-the-bar strumming, makes for a far more uptown sound than I'm accustomed to hearing from Sleepy John at that point in his career.? Sleepy John's kazoo playing (or is it Son Bonds'?) is pretty spectacular on this cut.? In a solo after the third verse, the kazoo player launches into a whooping vocalization in the middle of the solo, reminding me a bit of the great tenor saxophone player Dewey Redman, who sometimes vocalizes while blowing his horn.
Once again, Sleepy John's lyrics are occasionally pretty hard to make out, so any help with phrases in bent brackets would really be appreciated.? The first verse makes sense if you think of Sleepy John counseling against being too hospitable to a visitor.

? ?Don't a man do wrong, tell the man make hisself at home? (2)
? ?He may come back, catch his head while you later on

? ?Man go out and gamble and lose all his change (2)
? ?He come back home and the wife have to bear the blame

? ?Don't a man act funny when a strange woman ease in town? (2)
? ?He stay out all night, he throw his homegirl down

? ?I noticed you never loved me when you fell down on my knee
? ?I noticed you didn't love me when you fell down on my knee
? ?Ya had been drinkin' that old moonshine and tryin' to jive poor me

? ?I won't play marble on my baby's marble ground (2)
? ?I don't be worried with the teef, I'm gon' move out the edge of town

Edited 12/14 to pick up correction from Bunker Hill
Edited 12/14, to make more changes

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:54:20 PM by Johnm »

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2005, 11:47:47 AM »
The first verse makes sense if you think of Sleepy John counseling against being too hospitable to a visitor.

? ?Don't a man do wrong, tell the man, "Make yourself at home."? (2)
? ?He may come back, catch his [head while] you later on

? ?Don't a man act funny when a strange woman ease in town? (2)
? ?He stay out all night, he throw his [hunger] down

FWIW I've always heard like follows, but that might just be me honing in on a later recording. Until I get a moment to listen I pass these on for consideration:

Don't a man do wrong, 'til a man make himself at home." (2)
He may come back, catch his head while you been gone

Don't a man act funny when a strange woman ease in town? (2)
He stay out all night, he throw his home girl down

The final verse was once the subject of great debate. From memory I seem to recall that it was accepted he's singing something like "tees" but one who knew their marbles (!) pointed out that there was (is?) a large marble named something like a "taw". No time to research this now but may feel moved to do so later.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal