collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I had to stop drinkin' though, 'cause I got tired of waking up in my car and driving 90 - Richard Pryor

Author Topic: ...What Lillian McMurry did to Bobo Thomas  (Read 1796 times)

Offline JohnLeePimp

...What Lillian McMurry did to Bobo Thomas
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
Reading the stuff under this yt video peaked my interest - I'm betting somebody on here can shed some light on this.

here's the relevant quotes

"Legend has it that Lillian McMurtry of Trumpet Records recorded this song by him and then loaned him a guitar and amplifier to take home and practice with in order to come back the next day and record some more. Bobo didn't come back. Stories vary as to whether or not Mrs.McMurtry's equipment was ever recovered, but apparantly Bobo disappeared."

"Mrs. McMurry not only informed against Bobo causing him to go to jail for several months, but very likely did not pay him, and also changed Bobo Thomas name to Elmo James to revenge. A disgusting piece of interview can be found on LIVING BLUES magazine."

"It it weren't for Lillian McMurry, these guys would have been STILL sweeping floors and picking cotton.  I knew her personally and will attest that he took a Diamond Recording Company guitar and amplifier and NEVER RETURNED. McMurry pais ever artist she ever owed. Every single check stub and every singly BMI statement is in the Blues Archives in Oxford, MS"
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: ...What Lillian McMurry did to Bobo Thomas
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
The story is fully dealt with in Marc Ryan's "Trumpet Records: Diamonds on Farish Street".  Basically, Lillian McMurry loaned Thomas a guitar and amp, as stated, to work up a B side for Catfish Blues.  Thomas disappeared.  After waiting a while for him to show up, McMurry felt she had no choice but to report the missing equipment.  Many months later, McMurry was contacted by the police who said that they had Thomas and the missing equipment.  Thomas had been in jail for 8 months! 

According to McMurry she went to a preliminary hearing on the matter, "I said ...'You mean to tell me that he has been locked up for eight months in jail here?  And I wasn't even called - and you're just now having a hearing? ...  Justice works mighty slow.  If the man's been in jail eight months, he oughta be out.  I think he's served his time.'  I was so mad I went and hired the lawyer Bernard Chill.  Now this was back in poor times ... We paid the lawyer $125 to try to get Slim out." 

Eventually a trial was held, Thomas was persuaded to plead not guilty (he was reluctant to do so), and he was set free.  He became a devoted friend of Mrs. McMurry's.

McMurry did credit Thomas as "Elmo James" on the B side of Dust My Broom, but, to be fair, he was missing with her guitar and amp at the time.  She only had the one song by James (who had been poached by the Biharis for Modern) and one by Thomas.  I don't know if Thomas saw any money from the record, but at the very least he got a guitar, amp, and lawyer's fee out of the deal.   

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:13 AM »
I wish he'd gotten a recording contract out of it too

...appreciate the info dj - probably not the worst thing to have happened to a bluesman back then
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
According to my friend Darryl Stolper, a life-long friend of Ms McMurry's, she was the most scrupulously honest person ever to find themself in the record business. She stuck with Sonny Boy until he bailed with Chess and tried to get Elmore James back in the studio to finish his contractual obligations! And she recorded some of the finest music to come out of that neck of the woods - Luther and Percy Huff, anyone??!!!.

pbl

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal