collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I have no time to play, when bullets, start travelling my way - Charlie Burse, Scared To Death

Author Topic: George Torey's "Married Woman Blues"  (Read 2070 times)

youngbarracuda

George Torey's "Married Woman Blues"
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
hello all,

has anyone given a good deal of attention to this song? i'm dying to learn how to play it but it seems like so much work. if i am not mistaken, it is "east st. louis blues" after a pile of cocaine. the riffs in between the verses are very quick and bumpy, it seems like a very difficult texture to produce. i haven't really sat down with it yet and i'd like to know if anyone has any insight.

thanks,
john
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:55:51 PM by Johnm »

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: george torey's "married woman blues"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:56 PM »
Hi John,
I taught this tune last summer at Port Townsend.  It is a great one for sure.  Get in E position in standard tuning, move your capo to place yourself in tune with George Torey, and go to it.  If you're having a hard time getting oriented, try and figure out what he's striking with the thumb of his right hand before tackling the whole thing.  The left hand is not that hard, but the speed at which he takes the song and the dexterity required of the thumb are certainly challenging.
All best,
Johnm

youngbarracuda

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
took your advice johnm, and after tinkering for about an hour or so i'm picking it up. i've still got a lot of work to do but i've got a playable version going and that's always the hardest step, isn't it? i guess at this point i'm really only playing a hastened version east st. louis blues with some broke down engine-style bass runs thrown in--as you said, the trick is in torey's thumb. is there a place where i can your rendition of it? i'm sure it's great and probably very helpful.

thanks a lot,
john

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:08:22 PM »
Hi John,
I don't have a recorded version of me teaching it, but the signature lick that falls between the verses is right under the hand and should not be too hard to find--just playing as fast as George Torey did it is tough, though.
All best,
Johnm

youngbarracuda

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »
i appreciate all the help, John, i've just got one...well, two...final questions. i've noticed similarities in "married woman blues" and some of ed bell's blues in E, which led me to wonder:

a.) is torey playing the same partial e chord that charley patton and ed bell use? does he fret the fifth string at all during his runs over the E chord?

b.) i once listened to the free ed bell lesson you taught and it was great, though now i can't seem to find it. is it still available? i wish i had it to refer to right now.

thanks again,
john

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »
Johnm's free lesson is still available here:  (I need to get it on the section page.)

Mean Conductor and Hambone Lesson MP3 File - *Free Trial Lesson*

youngbarracuda

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
cool, thanks a lot. "hambone" is one of the ones i was thinking of.

time to get to work...

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »
Hi John,
Yes, I believe Torey used the commonly played E partial chord for "Married Woman Blues".  He does fret the fifth string in the signature lick but only on the way up from the sixth to the fourth string.  He uses the very same time stroke as Ed Bell used, in between verses, which makes me think he (Torey) may have been from Alabama.
all best,
Johnm

Tags: George Torey 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal