collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The penciled message on his hat, too, suggested some of the delight with life that has given to his blues their warmth and vitality: KID FURRY - Have Gun Will Travel - Sam Charters in the booklet accompanying the 1960 Folkways LP

Author Topic: Howling Wolf cover by Tom Waits  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
Howling Wolf cover by Tom Waits
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:09:09 AM »
2 hour live concert by Tom Waits recorded by National Public Radio http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92916923 where Waits does a cover of Cause of It All. It's a great concert with a crack band. For those who don't know his recent work this is a great introduction.

Offline sustaireblues

Re: Howling Wolf cover by Tom Waits
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:46:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this Chris!
I got to see this show in Tulsa and it was a really a treat! I never thought I'd get to see him do what he does so well in person.

Truly the heart and soul of a true bluesman, forging his own unique path, but never forgetting the roots of true music/life.

Joe

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
Cheers Joe. You lucky bugger. I would love to have seen this show. He has a lot more blues sensibility than a lot of people give him credit for. I always thought he sounded closer to Howling Wolf than Louis Armstrong - even in the early days.
Cheers,
Chris

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Chris. I've managed to listen to about half so far - work tends to get in the way!

My friend saw him in London a couple of years ago. Apparently he opened with "Hoist That Rag" and as soon as it started my friend realised that he (along with everyone else in the theatre) was rocking backwards and forwards in his seat to the beat.  I think tickets sold out on the internet in a matter of minutes here in the UK.

I think that "Mule Variations" (which I managed to secure on good old vinyl when it first came out) has some fine blues on it.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Doc White

• Good medicine
    • Doc White
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »
I've also just finished reading Lowside of the Road - his unauthorised biography. It is a good book by someone who obviously a big fan. I thinks Waits biggest contribution to music apart from the songwriting is his use of sound and rhythm. The soundscapes in some of the songs are remarkable and apparently he is unafraid to try anything.  He is a member of an organisation that makes weird instruments - waterphones and strange electronis things - and he uses them often.
Intersting guy.

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:10 PM »
Tom Waits used to play rough bar dives in the 70s. He started his shows at midnight and went to 3 AM. Then, he went to late night greasy spoon diners or strip joints. Whenever he came to Washington DC, he would stay at cheap, sleazy motels and eat in Takoma Park Maryland, near where John Fahey used to live.
As college students, we would cruise the dives looking for Waits in our VW bugs. I never found him, but a friend of mine did and had coffee with him at 4 AM.

When he did his Orphans Tour a few years back, my wife and I spontaneously bought tickets in Louisville, Kentucky, because he wasn't playing major cities, only medium towns. We flew out there and visited old friends. It was f'n fantastic!
I also saw him during the Mule Variations Tour in NYC, I think it was Town Hall, of which my wife has amazing photos.
I own every CD he has made and the records before that. He even sent me a signed photo.

John Hammond told me during an interview that the greatest experience of his life was playing with Tom Waits-- and that's coming from a guy who played with Hendrix and Mississippi John Hurt.
Tom Waits is all that, but really not essentially a blues player, although he takes occasional sojourns into the bluesy yonder.
FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
...he wasn't playing major cities, only medium towns...

He even played Fernwood:

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal