collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Old Man Sargent, sitting at the desk, the damned old fool won't give us no rest. He'd take nickels off a dead man's eyes to buy a Coca-Cola and an Eskimo pie - Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues

Author Topic: Google Search tips  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Google Search tips
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
You might know this already but if you don't this is for you. This is not about the search box on weenie, it's about using Google search.

I thought it might be useful to post this after reading through the "shake sugaree" thread. Here's a tip when using Google to search for something on the web. The problem is the results you get are swamped by "noise" references, in this case to a Grateful Dead song, if your search term is just "sugaree".

To eliminate such noise you can tell google search to explicitly exclude it. To do this, type a dash (think of it as a minus sign), in front of words or phrases you want excluded from the results. In this example, the search should be for the following:

Code: [Select]
sugaree -"grateful dead"
Here are the cleaner results returned with "Grateful Dead" filtered-out: sugaree -"Grateful Dead"

To see the noisy search results returned without the filter click this: sugaree

Note that you can exclude multiple distractions, just add more -"exclude" commands on the end of your search terms. For example, the filter doesn't catch other noise items, so here's a cleaner result set: sugaree -"grateful dead" -"dead and company" -garcia -tedeschi -bakery -"ice cream" -jdarks -dylan

Still not totally clean but getting better. Sugaree is a very noisy search term. Just keep adding filters until the noise is bearable.

I hope this helps make google search a more useful tool for researching things that have mega distractions crowding-out the meat in your results.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:52:16 PM by Rivers »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Google Search tips
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Oh while I'm at it, here's another "use case", where you only want results that contain a specific word or phrase. Use a plus sign instead of a minus in your filter. So for example you want sugaree references that mention Marty Robbins: sugaree +"Marty Robbins"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:07:49 AM by Rivers »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal