collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you want to learn how to make songs yourself, you take your guitar and you go to where the road crosses that way, where a crossroads is. Get there, be sure to get there just a little 'fore 12 that night so you know you'll be there. You have your guitar and be playing a piece there by yourself... A big black man will walk up there and take your guitar and he'll tune it. And then he'll play a piece and hand it back to you. That's the way I learned to play anything I want - Tommy Johnson, to his brother

Author Topic: Robert Belfour passed away  (Read 813 times)

Offline jrn

Robert Belfour passed away
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
My wife just told me that Mr. Belfour has passed away.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Robert Belfour passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:26 PM »
If thats correct, thats very sad.

Great player, and seemed a real gent when I saw him play in Norwich, UK (in a deconsecrated church of all places...).  Good to know though that whilst some acknowledgment (musically) came late in life, he had the chance to travel, play for all sorts of people and know that what he did made a lot of people happy.

Offline harriet

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
:( :( :( R.I.P

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
 :(

I saw this mentioned on facebook as well.
After so many fake death news lately, I'm always a little suspicious with these, but I did manage to find this notice on the Fat Possum site:

http://fatpossum.com/news/443

Pan

Offline NotRevGDavis

• "Hat on a cabbage head- I've never seen before"
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
A very nice person, a great guitar player and he always enjoyed my wife's chocolate chip cookies.
Got the name, still workin' on the licks!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
As Gary said, Robert Belfour was a very nice man and an ace musician.  There are not many around like him any more.  I have many good memories of him at Port Townsend in different years.  He will be missed.

Offline islandgal

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »
I am very sorry to hear this news. A few years ago at Port Townsend I was fortunate in being able to study with him and talk with him about his life. What a loss.

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
Yes, it's true. He passed away at home in Memphis.  Roger Stolle of Cat Head Delta Blues in Clarksdale has been working today with family, funeral home and church. Mr Belfour was uninsured and what little surviving family he had will be faced with financial worries. A fund has been set up by Memphis Blues Society at http://memphisbluessociety.com/ There is a link "Robert Belfour Benefit" for those who might like to make donations.

see "RIP Robert Belfour" at http://www.pomeroyblues.org/2015/02/26/rip-robert-belfour/

Offline FlyFast

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »
I was saddened to hear about this the other day.  I was privileged to meet the man at Red's in Clarksdale about two years ago.  He lived a hard life and produced some of my favorite blues.
Please consider donating even a little but.  The man deserves to go out in style.
Howlin Wolf - "When you ain't got no money and can't pay your house rent and can't buy you no food, you've damn sure got the blues."

Tags: Robert Belfour 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal