collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Would you like to play with me?" - Henry Townsend's reply to soundman Warren Argo's query as to whether anyone would be playing with Henry at his concert set at the first Port Townsend Country Blues Workshop

Author Topic: My new/old guitar and introduction  (Read 5398 times)

Offline Turbo

My new/old guitar and introduction
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »
Hey all, glad to be here. I learned to play the guitar in my late teens and was enchanted w/ blues/ragtime guitar ever since hearing family friend Ernie Hawkins play. My dad was a great player as well but passed away my senior year of high school. I guess that's when I picked it up. I let a lot of great axes slip away through the years; most notably a mint 1936 L-OO... I lost touch w/ the friend who bought it but he stills has it last I knew...

Fast forwarding to now, I put the guitar up for a couple years and found myself w/o one. I priced L-OO's and found out they quintupled in value since buying mine in the 90's! Forget that... After some research I heard the Kalamazoo KG-14 was the poor man's L-OO. Perfect. I recently got this one, a 1937 in exceptional condition and the original case looks hardly used. It's crack free and has had the normal setup work. It plays like a dream but I think it needs broken in as the original owner seldom played it. I know it's a different beast then my L-OO (ladder and not x braced) but it's nice to have an old Gibson in my life again. I'll keep onto this one!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:16:17 AM by Turbo »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
Re: My new/old guitar and introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:32 AM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell. Thanks for the introduction to yourself and your guitar. Maybe you could post a picture of it at some stage.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Turbo

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:47:38 AM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell. Thanks for the introduction to yourself and your guitar. Maybe you could post a picture of it at some stage.

Thanks, I did post a picture, it shows up on my computer, not yours? Pardon my PM by the way, I thought I was quoting this post at first.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »
No pictures in evidence over here in the UK.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Turbo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:29:09 AM »
No pictures in evidence over here in the UK.

Hmm... ok, thanks, it's probably due to Google photos. I'll look for another way to upload it.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
No photos or links to mentioned photos here in Washington State either. Did you attach the photos to your message and/or post a link to them?

Offline Turbo

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:46:11 AM »
No photos or links to mentioned photos here in Washington State either. Did you attach the photos to your message and/or post a link to them?

I tried posting from the forum but it was too big. Then I tried old hosting sites I was on but couldn't log on so I copied the link from Google photos. I've seen problems on other forums when using Google photos so I should've known better.

I'll look for another hosting site.

Offline joe paul

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:09:09 PM »
That's strange, I can see the photo of the guitar just fine from over here in France. How can that be?

Offline Turbo

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:09:30 PM »
That's strange, I can see the photo of the guitar just fine from over here in France. How can that be?

I think it has to do w/ browser, or maybe if someone is signed into Google. I could not see it at work today using Internet Explorer but can on Safari.

For those who can not see it let me know if this works!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:59 PM »
Signed in to Google, but still no luck whether using Firefox or Chrome.  However, I do get the symbol indicating a broken link.

Offline Turbo

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 08:03:41 AM »

Lets try this, I fold if this doesn't work. Never had a forum picture beat me before so I hope this works!

Offline joe paul

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:20 AM »
Yes, it works on Safari and Opera from France.
Guitar looks great, but how did I not notice that rug the first time round?

Offline Turbo

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »
Yes, it works on Safari and Opera from France.
Guitar looks great, but how did I not notice that rug the first time round?

Thanks, glad it worked, hopefully the others can see it. Hah, the rug was there the first time too!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
Nice choice of floor coverings, Turbo. And the guitar's not too shabby as well. Best of luck with it and welcome to WC!

Offline Turbo

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 10:00:42 AM »
Nice choice of floor coverings, Turbo. And the guitar's not too shabby as well. Best of luck with it and welcome to WC!

Thanks for the welcome and my girlfriend gets credit for the rug!

Tags: Kalamazoo KG-14 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal