collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Sweet Singer of the Swamplands Here to Do a Few Tunes between Homicides" - January 3, 1935, headline in the New York Herald Tribune announcing the arrival of Leadbelly

Author Topic: Mandolin Blues  (Read 44636 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Mandolin Blues
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
A conspiracy?  I wish...  that'd mean there's more than two of us that are hare-brained enough to try and play stuff like that.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »
Prewar gospel, not blues, but still fits our purposes for this thread I think: four songs recorded by Arizona Dranes feature an unknown mandolin player. Piano-mandolin duets w/ vocal chorus from a session on July 3 1928. The songs are on Document's Arizona Dranes 1926-29 DOCD-5186 and JSP's Spreading the Word set. "I Shall Wear a Crown," "God's Got a Crown," "He Is My Story," and "Just Look."

Offline BottleneckJohn

• Northern heart, Southern soul..
    • Acoustic Blues & Spirituals
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »
I'd like to recommend a listen to a guy called Christer Lyssarides who plays some awesome blues mandolin on Eric Bibb's two first CD's "Good Stuff" and "Spirit & the blues"..
If you haven't heard it already?  :)
He plays both wood top mando's and a banjolin there and it's really nice!
"All Around Man" - Re-release on vinyl LP in April 2015!!
http://www.bottleneckjohn.com/newcd.htm
BJ

Offline 67rene

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »
this is my version of Grind So Fine from the CD Walter Vincson & Charlie McCoy BD612 recorded Jan 17, 1931

let me know what you think !

http://www.youtube.com/v/0f_iTO5t3hU&hl

not sure why the screen shows twice ? can one of the moderators correct this pease ? thanks
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:34:54 AM by Slack »
Mandolins&Blues

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »
67rene, no need to include all the embedded stuff - a simple link to youtube will do and the forum software takes care of the rest.

Fine song and an excellent job!

Offline unezrider

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
hello friend,
cool performance! i love blues played on the mandolin. & in my opinion, we don't hear enough of it. (& for fear of being banned from this site, i wont mention how i love blues played on a banjo as well  ;))
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »
Most enjoyable, thanks!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:42 AM »
this is my version of Grind So Fine from the CD Walter Vincson & Charlie McCoy BD612 recorded Jan 17, 1931

let me know what you think !

http://www.youtube.com/v/0f_iTO5t3hU&hl

Very nice indeed! Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Pan

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »
one of my favorite mando blues cuts - Yank Rachell and Shirley Griffith "Mellow Peaches" off of The Art of Field Recording Vol. 1, the blues disc. Yank has inspired my playing more than anyone I think. 2 Poor Boys as well. My band:
Baltimore String Felons - myspace.com/thefelonfamily
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline 67rene

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
thanks Slack for correcting the link and thanks everybody for the kind words, glad you like !

I feel encouraged to place another link  8)

cheers Ren?
Mandolins&Blues

Offline MuddyBuddy

• Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
    • Bert Deivert - blues mandolin
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2010, 03:51:41 AM »
great stuff Ren?!

cheers
BERT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2010, 05:44:35 AM »
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you mandolin-playing Weenies had ever figured any of Furry Lewis's first three recorded cuts, "Everybody's Blues", "Mr. Furry's Blues", and "Sweet Papa Moan", all of which had Charles Jackson (or Johnson, according to Document) playing mandolin.  They are all good numbers, and I have never heard anyone do them.  

"Sweet Papa Moan" is particularly cool; it is modeled melodically on "Black Snake Moan", and Charles Jackson does some great things on it.  The song is played out of a C position, and Jackson starts out holding a double stop over the I chord that you would nornally associate with the V chord--G on the E pair (third fret) and B on the A pair (second fret).  The sound of that double stop against the C chord Furry playing is pretty exotic.  It suggests a C major 7 chord, not a sound you normally associate with Country Blues, but not at all "loungy" or uptown-sounding, as it might be in other contexts.  Jackson continues to play the same double stop against the IV chord, and the effect is even more exotic--against the F chord, the G note is a 9 and the B note is a #11, or flat 5.  Once again, the sound is not sophisticated or Jazzy, but really just a neat kind of droning, like holding an open fiddle string against a melody as it passes through a chord change.  It sounds great.

Hearing a Lemon-ish model for a mandolin tune made me think how much more of his material might really suit the mandolin.  "Black Horse Blues", which has gotten a lot of attention on this site, could be a real mandolin tour de force, and I think "Easy Rider" would be great, too, with it's signature lick repeating over and over in between the vocal lines.  It's kind of a way to make something new from something old.
All best,
Johnm

Was just listening to Sweet Papa Moan this morning and 5 years later it sounds even more like Black Snake Moan to me  :P, the melody basically lifted and set down on some different chords. It sure is a great tune. I agree, time to revisit Lemon on mandolin.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2010, 08:49:40 AM »
Another to add to the list. In April 1929 in Chicago, Clara Burston recorded "Weak and Nervous Blues" and "Georgia Man Blues" with an unknown mandolin player. You can find it on Barrelhouse Women 1925-30 Vol 1 DOCD-5378.

Offline 67rene

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2010, 04:12:14 AM »
this is me on mandolin backing up Willie Salomon

hope you like it

cheers, Ren?
Mandolins&Blues

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2010, 06:00:48 AM »
Sure would have liked to have been at that gig!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal