The Unwound Third > Gitfiddles, Harps, Washboards & Kazoos

Finger picks

(1/3) > >>

dj:
When I started fingerpicking years ago, I used a plastic thumb pick and 2 metal fingerpicks.  After a year or so of this, I started to use  my right index finger to strum both up and down on the strings, so I dumped the fingerpicks, which weren't very parctical while doing this.  Then I bought a Gibson J-50, which became my primary instrument.  It has a very strong bass, and I felt like using a thumbpick and bare fingers resulted in a sound that was too bass-heavy, so I ditched the thumb pick and played bare fingered for the next 10 or so years.  Then I put down the guitar for 20 years.  Now that I've picked it back up, I'm pretty much re-evaluating everything I do.

So the question is:  What do people tend to use, or not use, for picks?  Do people tend to play just with picks, just without, or to switch back and forth depending on the situation?

Muddyroads:
I tend to switch back and forth depending on which guitar I am playing, where I am playing (ambient noise level).  I use Pro picks with the split wrap to keep the cuticles in shape and a very hard plastic pick when I use one.  The picking is different with picks than with out.  It is harder to snap strings, make some brushes and so forth, but if I need the volume picks get it done.

Mud

uncle bud:
I tend to play with just a thumbpick (Fred Kelly Slick Pick) on wood bodies, thought sometimes not even that, something I'd like to do more of in fact. I wear fingerpicks for some stuff on a resonator, like Blind Boy Fuller. I find I get closer to Fuller's sound using them, though you can certainly play it without them. Unless you're doing something specific like that, I wouldn't bother with picks, especially if you're used to going without. Tough fingers are just as good.

Some people use picks for extra volume and bite when gigging. Something I can't comment on.

Slack:
I used to use picks but I think there are losts of advantages to not using picks - as you mentioned snapping strings or brushes - and I think the tone is just better.  I do use a thumbpick on some songs that call for a heavy muted bass - I have problems getting a comfortable damp without a thumbpick.  My vote is to work without picks.

SteveMcBill:
Prefer to play without picks at all on both wood and resonators (and on banjo as it happens). BUT, I must agree with Slack that doing damp bass stuff without a thumb pick is, for me, damned difficult. The angle of attack is wrong - I would need to turn my hand more outwards to get the correct angle for my fingers - a thumb-pick gives you the extra space when using this technique.

However, try both and see what your personal preference is now - record yourself with both (picks and no-picks) and see which sound you prefer.

SteveMcBill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version