collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"You say a white boy can't know the blues. During the Depression I'd sleep in ditches and know if I died that night no one would know what I was or where I come from" - Harmonica Frank Floyd, from Colin Escott and Martin Hawkins' Good Rocking Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock & Roll.

Author Topic: Blind Boy Fuller & Blind Blake C-chord  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Forgetful Jones

Blind Boy Fuller & Blind Blake C-chord
« on: June 30, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »
Hello All-
I fell into a YouTube wormhole the other day, and one of the videos that popped up was an Ari Eisinger lesson on Blind Boy Fuller's "Meat Shakin' Woman." At one point when discussing Fuller's playing, Ari talks about playing a C chord while holding the 3rd fret of both the 5th & 6th strings with just the ring finger. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Blind Blake probably played this same way.

Holy moly! I've been trying to do this with minimal success. It doesn't seem impossible, but it surely isn't easy for me. The bass notes aren't playing real clear & I get some string buzz. It seems like my finger is actually pushing the two strings apart a little bit. It's a real change for sure. Occasionally, it sounds Ok for a few thumb strokes.

I'm wondering how many of you guys fret your C chord this way. Do you ALWAYS play your C chord this way? Or just when playing these guys' songs? (I'm sure there must be other guys who play this way too. Broonzy perhaps?)

Please tell me this gets easier. Any advice, thoughts, comments or ideas? Thanks.

Cheers!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Blind Boy Fuller & Blind Blake C-chord
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
I use this technique somewhat, but not always, and more commonly I fret the 4th and 5th strings of a normal E chord with the middle finger, which is easier, and, I think, more essential.

A couple things. Don't worry about getting it to sound perfect, just keep playing while using it, buzzes and all. Eventually you will develop callus at the "corners" of your finger tip that will work much better than the groove down the middle you have now. One thing that helps is using a guitar with a narrower neck for a while. Again, don't worry about sounding good, just play the songs on the narrow guitar. Just listen without trying to stop and "correct" your finger placement. Sometimes if you can manage to get your brain out of the equation and just play and listen, your ears will communicate directly with your fingers and things will just get better. Playing while singing really helps accomplish this.

Technique-wise it's good to fret with the tip of your finger as if you are fretting one string. Don't be tempted to slightly flatten your finger to get a little mini barre, just keep putting the tip right between the strings. eventually, as the callus begins to develop you will start to get a sense of gathering the two strings, especially if the right hand picking goes from one to the next, and around the same time you'll have developed the two groove callus and, well, there you are. Move back to your wide neck fingerpicking guitar and play away.

Hope that helps.

My problem right now is practicing enough to keep that two groove callus.

Wax

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
Hey Wax-
Thanks for the thorough reply. Nice suggestions. They help a lot. The callous buildup makes a lot of sense. The lesser used "corner" of my ring finger is pretty tender right now, so hopefully it won't take too long to toughen it up. 

For me using a narrower guitar neck means playing on an electric. My Gibson J-100 is the only acoustic I own. It's a big guitar, but not really sure if that translates to the neck too. I've had it for 20 years, and I love it.

Funny you mention singing, because for the past half-year or so I've actually done more singing than I ever have before. My hands have gotten more automatic for sure. Now as far as playing Fuller & Blake are concerned...I'm gonna need every bit of brain power I've got to get that ball rolling.

And also....I just played the E chord the way you suggested and it was fairly easy to pull off. Thanks for that one too!

Cheers!

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
For me, this is a strictly 6 string technique.  Trying on a 12 string - well, it hasn't worked well at all.  I've always used a four finger C chord, either with a low G note or a high G note.  Not sure why, but it has been a habit for 30+ years now. 
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal