collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going - Prof. Irwin Corey

Author Topic: "Killer of Sheep"  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Killer of Sheep"
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »
Hi all,
I just watched this movie, made in 1977 by the African American director, Charles Burnett, last night.  It has recently been released on DVD for the first time by Milestone in a 2 DVD set, along with "My Brother's Wedding", another Burnett feature I haven't watched yet.  I know there are some serious movie fans who frequent the site, and thought I'd give it a mention, since it really is a remarkable movie, I think.
The movie takes place in a poor black neighborhood in L.A. at the same time it was made.  The protagonist works in a slaughter house, as per the title, and is trying to make a go of it with his wife, early teen son and little daughter.  The movie is very slice-of-life in its approach, little or no plot, but its depiction of the lives of black folk in that time and place rings utterly true, and has the effect of making you realize how "dramatic" and loaded such depictions are in most Hollywood features.  Burnett has a wonderful eye, and many of his images will stay with me forever, I think.  The film is in black and white.  Use of music in the film is wonderful, too, with numbers by Paul Robeson, Little Walter, Elmore James and a performance by Dinah Washington of a song called "This Bitter Earth", I believe, that could not be improved upon even in one's imagination. 
I had seen two later films by Burnett, "To Sleep With Anger", which featured Danny Glover in a key role, and "The Glass Badge", and both of them were quite good, but "Killer of Sheep", which looks like it was done on a shoestring budget surpasses them, because you get the sense with it that Burnett was able to get precisely what he was going for.  Congratulations to Charles Burnett and all concerned for a wonderful piece of work.
All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:28:51 PM by Johnm »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: "Killer of Sheep"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
..thanks, John .. coincidentally, I saw that this film was on Turner Classic last evening, maybe you saw it aired earlier in the day? .. I caught the last 40 or so, and yes, like you said, quite compelling stuff .. after the show Burnette was interviewed by Robt Osborne, and Burnette noted that many of the characters were played by non-actor locals, and he described some of the odd things he had to deal w/ as director, like some actors playing a role for a few weeks, then saying they wanted off for a while and to use someone else in the role.  My Brother's Wedding aired next, but I was too shot to stay up..sadly, these films probably won't cycle around until next King day, if at all.. but it's encouraging that they're on dvd..Regards, Tom

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Killer of Sheep"
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:50:32 PM »
I'm glad you had a chance to see most of the movie, Tom.  I think it really is a remarkable piece of work.  I did see "My Brother's Wedding" the night after seeing "Killer of Sheep", and it didn't have the consistency of feeling and tone that the earlier movie had, and where the non-actors worked well in "Killer of Sheep", in "My Brother's Wedding" they often seemed simply like non-actors.  Still some really amazing bits, like one where an ancient guy comes into the laundry where the protagonist works for his parents, and tries to pick up laundry he left there about six months ago, with no laundry ticket and unable to remember which of his aliases he left the laundry under!  After trying about four or five different aliases and being unable to find the clothes, the protagonist invites Mr. Pseudonym behind the counter to look for the clothes himself.  Another amazing scene where Pierce, the young hero goes to visit his aged aunt and uncle, and upon being asked to read to them from the Bible, picks a psalm at random and starts in--at which point, his aunt and uncle start reciting the psalm in unison with his reading of it--tremendous.  Come to think of it, "My Brother's Wedding" beats the hell out of most Hollywood movies too!  It is available in the same re-issue DVD set as "Killer of Sheep", for the set is a twofer.
All best,
Johnm 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal