collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Jack's house was sittin' in a old cemetary... He used to tell me, 'Boy, sometimes when I be out here, I have them jokers cuttin' up out there in them graveyards.' 'What you be doin' Jack?' 'Boy, playin' that guitar and havin' a durn good time out there' - Jack Owens, remembered by Jimmy Holmes, Living Blues #137

Author Topic: "Harry Dean Stanton--Partly Fiction"  (Read 630 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Harry Dean Stanton--Partly Fiction"
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
Hi all,
Tonight we watched this newly released documentary about Harry Dean Stanton, the star of "Paris, Texas", "Repo Man" and many other films.  It was great to see him featured and hear friends and colleagues talk about him.  It turns out he's a really good singer and particularly loves to sing . . . and does a lot of it in the movie.  You may recall him singing in "Cool Hand Luke".  Anyhow, if you're a fan of Harry Dean Stanton's work, you'll probably find this movie fascinating.
All best,
Johnm

Offline DavidJ

• Howdy!
Re: "Harry Dean Stanton--Partly Fiction"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:07:44 AM »
Been lurking here for a while; this post finally got me to join the community!

I saw this documentary the other day and really liked it. He seemed most relaxed when he was singing. I also saw a local PBS documentary about him where he plays a pretty mean harp for an 84 year old man. Not sure how to make a link but here is the url to the Kentucky Muse program. You can watch this one hour doc online, too.:

http://www.ket.org/muse/stanton/

My father used to hang out with Harry Dean here in Lexington just after WWII. Both were Navy vets and students at UK. Dad used to mention him from time to time. Said Harry Dean called him "Lefty." A favorite story he would tell was about how they would hang out outside of Memorial Hospital and try to pick up nurses.Dad's gone now, but my 80 year old mom still swoons at the mention of Stanton's name.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal