collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
All art is a kind of confession, more or less oblique. All artists, if they are to survive, are forced, at last, to tell the whole story; to vomit the anguish up - James Baldwin

Author Topic: Furry Lewis - "Dry Land Blues" alt take  (Read 1000 times)

Offline CF

Furry Lewis - "Dry Land Blues" alt take
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:54:17 AM »
For Furry completists:
Apparently, an alt take of Lewis' "Dry Land Blues" from his 1920s sessions has been aurally discerned on the cheapo Blues Collection #61: Beale Street Blues feat. Furry & Frank Stokes. It is also on the Frog CD Memphis Blues Singers Volume two. Sitting there in plain sight.
An alt take of Lewis' "Cannonball Blues" also appeared on Blues Images Vol 8.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Furry Lewis - "Dry Land Blues" alt take
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
Cool! Thanks.

Offline alyoung

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:17:02 AM »
I recently plunged into the Frog pool ... and glad that I did. The Frog annuals (only magazine I've ever seen with an index) provide new information on a wide range of artists from the pre-war years; a lot of them are jazz players but there's plenty enough blues info to make the books a worthwhile purchase (full life story of Joel Taggart, first photo of Oscar "Buddy: Woods and lots more). Each comes with a CD, each containing at least a few surprises. And the mastering on Frog CDs is excellent -- I've never heard the Memphis Jug Band so clearly. (I gotta stop coming onto Weenie and spruiking things, but the Frog wares are great, so are the Agram disco books ... and I really like Rosenberg and Wolfe's "The Music of Bill Monroe" ... woops, now I've gone too far.)

Offline harriet

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:58:20 AM »
Thanks!

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:22:52 AM »
Strange, Al, I found the Frog mastering to be surprisingly bassy & noise reduced or something on the Vol 5 CD
The Frog Vol 5 was amazing & the cheapest of the bunch. I'm not sure I can go back and buy earlier issues with less content for more money!

Offline alyoung

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »
The Frog website shows No 5 the most expensive at 32 pounds. Nos 3 & 4 are 29.90 each and the first two are 28 pounds. I'll have another listen to Vol 5's disc, but nothing bad leapt out at me on the first listen. I also bought the CD "Memphis Rounder's Blues" and that has great sound. For me, No 5 paid for itself with the Buddy Woods picture ... and I see you liked it too, CF.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
Seriously, folks, if you have any enjoyment of old 78s, blues or old jazz, you should buy all of those Frog Annuals. There will be a time in the future when they are all gone and you will regret not having them. They're like a continuation of the old 78 Quarterlys but with amazing photo quality and high-quality printing, plus a lot more information in each issue, and a great CD.

The price may seem a bit steep but you are getting what you pay for.

Offline CF

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
I got Vol. 5 at an early reduced rate . . . and I was mostly joking although they come to between $70-$80 Canadian & I'm still a working musician so ... ha ha. They are top notch though, Vol. 5 is beyond expectations.

Anybody have those CDs with the Furry alt tk? I don't haven't heard it yet.

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:58 AM »
Just adding, on "Blues Collection #61: Beale Street Blues feat. Furry & Frank Stokes" there is also the alt take of Cannonball Blues.
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Tags: Furry Lewis 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal