collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some of these women do make me tired, got a handful of gimme and a mouthful of much obliged - Sleepy John Estes, Drop Down Mama

Author Topic: 12 string rag  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
12 string rag
« on: March 01, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »
Bit of a problem with the recording button on this one (not to mention the playing)...but here's a bit of a 12 string ragtime tune on the jangly 12 string guitar.

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: 12 string rag
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »
jangly is right!  What a great sound.  Out of curiousity, how was the beast tuned for this?  It sounds real loose.  Also, is this anything in particular, or in the style of anyone in particular?

I think this may be the year I have to get a 12-string.  I'm just too intrigued by the sounds that keep showing up on WC...

fine picking, BTW.

tom

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:17:29 AM »
Nice job scratchy!  Love the tempo - it moves right along.  And Tom is right - makes me want to run out and buy a 12 string.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 08:41:07 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Tom'n'Slack. The guitar's a 1920's BBQ Bob style stella which has seen a lot of action in it's time, but which I really like, despite the jangles! It's tuned down to B with a set based on .13 at the first course (lighter and janglier thatn you'd expect, but kinder on the guitar's old necka nd my old fingers than the .17 gauge favoured for the first course by Leadbelly). The tune itself is nothing in particular, but is based loosely on the kind of thing Blind Willie McTell might've played. Or Blake maybe if he borrowed a 12 string...
Prof S

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »
Finally got a chance to download this. Nice job, Scratchy! I can definitely hear Blind Willie singing over this. I like the slightly different chord choices in the last couple bars of the form. A couple little Georgia Rag bits thrown in there as well? Very fun. Makes me want to grab the 12, but I promised myself I'd practice Blind Boy Fuller today.  :P

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal