collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I learned when I was fifteen that a show, a live show, has to have an opening, a middle, and an ending. If you know that, your shows will sound like the highlights of an average show all the way through - Miles Davis

Author Topic: Man sitting by Preacher while everyone else stands- 1920s-(Patton?)  (Read 10437 times)

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
Re: Man sitting by Preacher while everyone else stands- 1920s-(Patton?)
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »
I'm good....

I got called about 10 names and dragged through the mud for trying to share what we ALL agree is an interesting photo...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:12:33 AM by Randy Meadows »
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2013, 05:01:56 AM »
I have always enjoyed the Weenie discussion boards and one of the main contributing factors to that enjoyment has been the absence of obvious ill-feeling towards each other.
I hope that the former, rancour-free, status quo will be restored very soon.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:57 AM »
I got called about 10 names and dragged through the mud for trying to share what we ALL agree is an interesting photo...

Randy, I would hate to think that this is your view of the discussion that's taken place in this thread.  The discussion was very civil when it was just about the photo and the initial speculation about the man seated in the center of the front row.  It took a turn for the worse upon repeated speculation, unfounded on any facts, that other people in the photo were also famous musicians or children of musicians.  Any heated discussion, in my opinion, has not been about sharing a photo, but rather about research methods and the proper way and time for a) sharing research, and b) presenting pure speculation.  It's a valid and, to me at least, interesting discussion that's teetered on being uncivil at times, and I'm sorry for that.   

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:03:38 AM by dj »

Offline wreid75

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
"research methods and the proper way and time for a) sharing research, and b) presenting pure speculation"

Isn't a message board the perfect place to present pure speculation?  There are not many of us in the world that gives a rats rear end about this music and even fewer that are interested in the lives of the people who made it.  If a few of us lived closer together then we could have a real front porch conversation with a fine cigar and a pint of ale.  Sadly most of us are separated by hundred and thousands of miles and this site along with a few others has become our front porch.  Hardcore research with spot on sources has its place in peer review journals, lexis nexis, books, newspapers, and periodicals.    Message boards are a great place for what if's but such playful banter can sometimes naw at the nerves of those a little less playful.  Believe it or not this board has inspired more than one person I know of to make a trip along the Mississippi and Yazoo river to see what they can dig up, and for those about to BLUES, I salute you.

Offline Randy Meadows

• Randy Meadows
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:24 AM »
DJ,
Well said...
I'm all for re-grouping...

I have no animosity to any of you, even my man Slack...  he touched a nerve and so did I towards him but I think we all Love the Blues.... That's why we are here.... And that makes us all "Brothers" in a way...

I agree to be much more vigilant from this moment forward with the way I share information.
We can progress the Blues History slowly and progressively, while keeping true to the spirit...

That's all I can give...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:38:37 AM by Randy Meadows »
randymeadows@ymail.com
luvthatzeppelin on Youtube

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:11 AM »
OK folks, on that note from Randy, it seems like the perfect time to drop the meta-discussion here. Randy has said he is in the process of contacting people in the area to see what they know about the photo, which is the appropriate way to proceed, now it's time to wait for more actual information. When he hears back from those people and if he decides to share their response here, plainly and openly, then reality-based discussion can continue somewhat more intelligently.

Offline CF

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »
Uncle Bud: Coolest Head In the West  8)

Good luck Randy, I sincerely hope you turn up some more fascinating information about this photo & all of the other ephemera you discover.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2013, 08:05:14 AM »
Isn't a message board the perfect place to present pure speculation?

In an ideal world, yes. But we don't live in an ideal world. While it's a place for all of us to meet and share info, ideas, opinions, etc.--there are still problems with the written word not fully conveying the language it represents--and ambiguity can always lead to misunderstandings that would never happen in person. Plus, there's always the intangible factor of individual personality--one that never ceases to amaze me.

Best of luck with your ongoing research regarding the photo, Randy. Assuming that the photo has a Mississippi origin,  people at the University of Mississippi might be of assistance. State universities are often repositories for materials and information relating to state history. Hopefully, you'll find what you're looking for--and much more. And if at some point you feel that you've exhausted all leads and have run into a dead end, you might consider turning it over to The History Detectives' crew. It's the kind of project that Tukufu Zuberi would love. Keep us posted.

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal