collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Most interpreters agree that the dominant and most expressive theme in the blues is sex - James H. Cone, The Spirituals and The Blues

Author Topic: Rev. Davis' Birthday  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Rev. Davis' Birthday
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »
Hi all,
It was suggested in the John Hurt Birthday tribute thread that it might be nice to do a similar thread honoring Rev. Davis on his birthday, April 30.  I'm a little early, I guess, but thought I'd get the ball rolling.  As far as I know, Rev. Davis never played or performed "Deep River", but it is a beautiful Spiritual that I've loved ever since I first heard it.  So I'll dedicate this version to Rev. Davis.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: Rev. Davis' Birthday
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
A beautiful arrangement with lush harmonies! Thank you for sharing it with us, John!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »
Beautiful John! One of my favorite songs and the only one that would get my son to sleep when he was an infant on difficult nights. Can't resist posting the ne plus ultra of performances:
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »

And B. Davis hisself:

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »
Who knows by this time next year we may have two biographies to read, one from Ian Zack, the other from Bill Ellis. Rather like buses - wait ages for one and two come along. :)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:39:50 AM »
And then there's the film. Anybody see it yet? I haven't. In any case I'm hopeful that this may mark the beginning of the end of the general obscurity this major twentieth century artist has been consigned to. Other great artists who've famously fallen off the world's radar in the past, only to be resurrected and celebrated centuries later, include J.S. Bach, and Domenico Theotocopolus (ElGreco).

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »
It's still the Rev's birthday somewhere west of here, so here's my contribution. Definitely in the spirit of frankie's one-take-or-go-home recordings, as it is past my bedtime. I've still got a ways to go with this one but it's sure fun to play. Make Believe Stunt/Maple Leaf Rag.

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 05:38:53 AM »
I'm a day late with this, and I may have posted the link before, but here are some excerpts from a tape I made of Rev. Davis with Elizabeth Cotten at a party at our house in 1965. He's as memorable as they come.

http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/BrnSnift/SonicAlbum.html

Lyle

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:21 AM »
Terrific Andrew!
 :)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:33:47 AM »
These are great Lyle thanks. :)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks for that rendition, Andrew, you sound great.  Thanks for the good words, Pan and Phil.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
Thanks guys. John, thanks for starting us off with a beautiful arrangement. Real pretty, like Pan said, lush. Have to admit I am only vaguely familiar with the song from long ago, probably Robeson.

Roi, nice version. Kind of a cross between McTell's and the Down Home Boys' Stack o' Lee. Your arrangement?

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:03:48 AM »
John - that was beautiful and leaves me otherwise speechless. Nobody plays like you.

Uncle Bud - hands down the most fun revivalist rendering of that one I've ever heard, and I love the singing at the 2:29 mark. Perfectly in the spirit!

Roi - like uncle Bud, I hear something between McTell and the Downhome Boys. Nicely done!

Offline CF

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
Very nice gentlemen!
Andrew that was terrific!
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
Great performances all! A fitting birthday present for the rev!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Laura

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 07:21:08 AM »
Hi all. Just a reminder that RGD's birthday tribute is one week from today!
Robert Tilling's book suggests he always tried to record in just one take:

"...once is as good as a hundred, twice is as good as a thousand..."

Let's make some music in his memory - he had so much to share :D

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:43 AM »
In anticipation of Rev. Davis' birthday, I actually prepared a bit of data analysis, based on the commercial recordings I have access to...  which are fairly complete. I was curious about Rev. Davis' most recorded songs. Most of these are unsurprising with the exception of Sun Is Going Down...  for some reason, I always assumed that this was a pretty rare song in his repertoire, but once you control for the 'title creep,' it turns out that he recorded it pretty often - 8 times:

Samson And Delilah  14
Twelve Gates to the City  12
Cocaine Blues  10
Twelve Sticks  10
You Got To Move  10
Buck Dance  9
Candyman  9
Cincinnati Flow Rag  9
Make Believe Stunt  8
Sun Is Going Down  8

I chose to do his second most recorded song for his birthday this year. It's one of my favorites.

Offline Laura

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 03:35:06 AM »
A couple months ago I felt like I needed to learn this song - looking back I can't exactly remember why!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 06:07:27 AM »
Stellar performances as usual. Now, I can't play anything by the Rev. But I can copy and paste:

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »
Great work Frank & Laura. A pleasure to see & Hear.

A "What If?" Rev. Gary Davis Song.

http://sclk.co/s7lt33

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Wow!  Amazing performances, Frankie, Laura, and O'Muck -- I really loved all three.  (And some very fine copying and pasting from you, Prof. Scratchy.)  Please lower your standards dramatically before watching the following.

Todd Brown

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I've so enjoyed all of the Rev. Davis birthday posts so far this year.  Frank, that is such beautifully relaxed time and singing, except where you don't want it relaxed!  Laura, it is so strong and true, playing and singing.  Phil, that is wonderful, and so YOU--I don't reckon another person alive could have done what you did with "God Don't Never Change", even if they might have been able to play it, they couldn't have thought of it.  Todd, you hit some lovely variations on "I Will Do My Last Singing", as well.

Here is a hymn I wrote called "Oh My Lord", waiting on some lyrics.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Laura

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone who contributed/commented/listened! I'm sure there's some more posts to go up yet, everyone has a bit of RGD in them!
Phil, that was amazing! When i first saw the title of your song i was a little confused as was sure he hadn't done that one..but wow... listening to that it could have easily been him!
Todd, you don't give yourself enough credit - that was fantastic - was so happy to hear that song as it's one of my favourites and was actually going to give up on "destruction" and try to learn that one instead but Frankie was like "Sistuh - that's just as difficult" (he does actually speak like that).  Was that your own arrangement? In any case, so nicely played - thank you!
John, as always your playing is so effortless "Oh My Lord" is beautiful - I hope you don't need to wait too long for the lyrics to find you....:)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
A Beautiful 30's sounding lullaby-Hymn John. Where's Yip Harburg when ya need him?! ;)   And thanks for the good words all.

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
That's beautiful, John.  When I checked in just now, I was especially hoping there'd be something from you.

And thanks to Laura & John for the kind & encouraging words.  Maybe by next year I'll be ready to try something a little more ambitious.  Laura, when Frankie said "Last Singing" was as difficult as "There's a Destruction in This Land," I think he probably just wanted to trick you into persevering, and I'm so glad he did.  (For one thing, "Last Singing" doesn't have that tricky D-major shaped chord up the neck that I'm pretty sure I see you playing.)  My rendition is based on a version I learned from my brother, who learned it from Ernie Hawkins; I just simplified it a bit and added some minor variations using different chord voicings.

Todd

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Hey Todd i see i inadvertently left you out sorry, very nice sensitive playing of such a beautiful tune.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
Nice work everyone! Phil, that was a great surprise, very cool version. Laura, way to go, you're making it look easy, and we know damn well it isn't. Frankie, as always, your RGD playing is the tops, picking, singing, finger snaps (with picks!) and all. Todd, some fine pickin' there as well. Johnm, I am having trouble with your file and will need to retry later!

Who knew weenies knew so many freakin' chords. ;)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 01:18:02 AM »
so much good stuff going on in this thread...  thanks, John - the hymn is beautiful and your playing is as brilliant as ever. Laura - thanks for posting There's Destruction In This Land - such great singing and smooth, relaxed playing! Todd - thanks for I'll Do My Last Singing - one of my favorites! Phil - your take on God Don't Never Change is truly breathtaking - a deeply original and creative interpretation...  fantastic!

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
Roi, that's excellent! It has such a great bounce to it, and I love those single-note runs and all the percussive effects.  It kind of sounds like a Rev. Gary Davis tune that he never quite got around to composing.  Thanks for posting it.

Todd

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
Nice Roi

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
Thanks for all the great performances in this thread! They would make up a great tribute album, I think!  8)

Frankie, I don't think that anyone has owned the 12 gates to the city, so much, since the rev., except you! Wonderful!

Laura, that is just an amazing performation, no wonder it was shared on the social media asap. What a great performer you are turning to be, in front of our eyes!

Mr. O'Muck, what a tour de force! You're powerful delivery and touch certainly is keeping up the torch of the Reverend, and only a few can improvise so fluently in this tradition.

I'm not familiar with the original, but Todd's instrumental tune was very enjoyable, with precise and clear melody and rhythms. Well done!

John, what a beauty again, with those lush harmonies of yours! You should consider recording a gospel album, with some original tunes as well!

Roi's energetic Buck Dancing, with some virtuoso licks certainly bring the Reverend in mind! Well done!

Thanks again for everyone who participated, it certainly made a nice evening of listening (and a great remedy for post weenie juke symptoms).

Now I need to really learn some RGD tunes myself!  :)

Cheers

Pan
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:59:55 PM by Pan »

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »
Wow!  Amazing performances, Frankie, Laura, and O'Muck -- I really loved all three.  (And some very fine copying and pasting from you, Prof. Scratchy.)  Please lower your standards dramatically before watching the following.

Todd Brown

I don't think anyone has to lower any standards to have enjoyed that tune and your playing on it JT. I know I did, it was very nice indeed I got a lot of pleasure from it.
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2014, 04:11:37 AM »
I've so enjoyed all of the Rev. Davis birthday posts so far this year.  Frank, that is such beautifully relaxed time and singing, except where you don't want it relaxed!  Laura, it is so strong and true, playing and singing.  Phil, that is wonderful, and so YOU--I don't reckon another person alive could have done what you did with "God Don't Never Change", even if they might have been able to play it, they couldn't have thought of it.  Todd, you hit some lovely variations on "I Will Do My Last Singing", as well.

Here is a hymn I wrote called "Oh My Lord", waiting on some lyrics.

All best,
Johnm

That was also very nice John and it is good to jam to, plenty of good melodies for vocals or lead instrument to add in there, I played along with it and had a good time doing so.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
Thanks, folks, for good words on the hymn.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »
Hi John - got your file to play (not sure what the issue was, on my end I presume, must've corrupted the file the first time or something). Lovely piece, and as always, your chord voicings always catch my ear. And trick my ear. Sometimes when I listen I hear a voicing that says standard, then I hear another that says oh, those open strings, could this be something else? Part of it is unfamiliarity, but part of it is those open strings that ring so nicely.

Frankie, when did a Gibson creep back into your hands? Or maybe I just didn't notice. Also, that verse at the end ("When I get in heaven") is one I don't recall him singing from the 8 versions or so I have. Where's it from? This one just gets better and better with repeated listening, so much in there.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Andrew.  I think one reason the sonorities on the hymn may be difficult to suss out is because it is played in open Bb, the Peg Leg Howell "Low-Down Rounder Blues/Fairy Blues" tuning.  I've been playing in that tuning a good bit the past couple of years and particularly like it because it makes a lot of really close, pianistic sorts of voicings possible that can not be played in standard tuning or any other commonly utilized tuning that I know of.  The version of "Deep River" I posted in the Rev. Davis birthday thread last year was also played in that tuning.
The tuning also works exceptionally well for thumb lead, and I've used it quite a lot for that style, too.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:20 AM »
John -  that definitely sheds light on both of those songs...  that tuning ALWAYS sounds like standard on first listen to me, and your use of this and other tunings is a lot more sophisticated than I'm used to...  amazing that you can hear that way inside an open tuning...  the more I hear you play in open tunings, the more I want to compare you to Blind Connie Williams, who also has (to my ear) a very nuanced sense of harmony and never seems 'limited' by the key-bound nature of the open tuning he chooses to work in. That's just incredible to me.

Andrew - the Gibson is an old friend come to visit. It was sold a while back to finance another purchase, but it's certainly a welcome house guest! It's a pretty good guitar... yup.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »
Also, that verse at the end ("When I get in heaven") is one I don't recall him singing from the 8 versions or so I have. Where's it from?

It's from this site:

http://www.negrospirituals.com/news-song/oh_what_a_beautiful_city.htm

I think this came up on weenie not too long ago. I guess it should have been obvious that this had a source other than Rev. Davis, but I've never heard a sung version of this other than his...  turns out I just never looked! Duh. Anyway, the last verse just kind of spoke to me, so I added it. All the verses are probably 'floaters,' and could be included into just about any spiritual song...

Offline Laura

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
This is a variation of Buck Dance, of course ---

CAn't believe I missed this one...that's excellent, Roi - thanks for posting!

Offline ArthurBlake

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Andrew.  I think one reason the sonorities on the hymn may be difficult to suss out is because it is played in open Bb, the Peg Leg Howell "Low-Down Rounder Blues/Fairy Blues" tuning.  I've been playing in that tuning a good bit the past couple of years and particularly like it because it makes a lot of really close, pianistic sorts of voicings possible that can not be played in standard tuning or any other commonly utilized tuning that I know of.  The version of "Deep River" I posted in the Rev. Davis birthday thread last year was also played in that tuning.
The tuning also works exceptionally well for thumb lead, and I've used it quite a lot for that style, too.
All best,
Johnm
Well I was almost certain it was in standard form first two hearings of it, usually a tune in open tunings screams out OPEN tuning but that seemed in standard so I guess that is an art you have there John.

Offline joe paul

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:46 AM »
Just catching up with all these posts, I've been away travelling, and I know I'll be listening to these over and over.
This could be my favourite thread since they invented thread. Thanks and congratulations everyone, Roi and Laura, Frankie and John! 

Offline Laura

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 06:19:55 AM »
Just catching up with all these posts, I've been away travelling, and I know I'll be listening to these over and over.
This could be my favourite thread since they invented thread. Thanks and congratulations everyone, Roi and Laura, Frankie and John!
Hey Gordon, Did you listen to O'Mucks "God Don't Never Change"? Can't get over how good that is !!!
I hope you'll post up a full version of " I Cannot Bear My Burden" I love that one, you got a real good thing going on it!

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »
What a great thread this one is!!!

Thank you all for playing and sharing - such wonderful and inspiring performances, each and every one!

((The way I figure it, I've got roughly 350 days to work on a RGD tune so that I can post something here next year!))

Be well!

Z

Tags: Rev. Gary Davis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal