collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Any y'all wanna come to my home and learn how to play guitar - don't be scared o' your money, come on honey. I ain't gonna kill you - Rev. Gary Davis, in concert

Author Topic: Luthier needed UK.  (Read 987 times)

Offline huge furry whipinstool

Luthier needed UK.
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
I've got a late 60's Martin 0021 that has a lifting pick guard. Any UK Weenies know of a reliable Luthier in the South West or Midlands who could carry out a repair?

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Luthier needed UK.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »
Sounds like a very straightforward job.  If your pin in the weenie members map is vaguely accurate, then Crimson Guitars near Dorchester might be an idea.  They are primarily makes of custom electrics but take on all manner of other repairs etc.  They do a huge amount of youtube stuff about repairs and luthiery which I have been following and seem like a decent and knowledgeable outfit.  I was also recommended WM guitars in Totnes recently. 

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »
Thanks Slim.
I'm reasonably close to both so I'll give them a try.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:16:23 AM »
Hello Huge,

Dave King Acoustics near Newbury would be my recommendation, http://www.daveking-acoustics.co.uk/

Dave has done a load of work for me over the years. Once I took my Martin 0018 to a 'luthier' who was closer to me, he did an appalling job of the re-fret and new nut (plastic!), chunks out of the fretboard etc. Dave righted all the wrongs, after that I won't go anywhere else. Sometimes he's busy, so things take longer than expected, I still can't recommend him highly enough.

Adam.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »
Thanks Adam.

Had a look at his website and he looks ideal. Bit of a trip but looks a good bet. At least I have a few options now.

Offline Adam Franklin

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »
Dave is a certified Martin repair man, along with National Resophonic and, I think, Santa Cruz guitars.

Let us know when you get it all sorted!

Adam.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal