collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I saw some cross-eyed people, I saw a man was so cross-eyed that when he cried tears ran down his back. I saw a man, Bill, with his eyes so near the top of his head, when he get ready to see he had to pull off his hat - Sonny Boy Williamson on cross-eyed people

Author Topic: Defining "Memphis Blues"  (Read 948 times)

Mister Steve

Defining "Memphis Blues"
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
Just an open question, if possible to define "Memphis Blues."  By definition, is it indeed more flexible?  I would welcome more experienced forum members here to chime in.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Re: Defining "Memphis Blues"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
If I could have been anywhere in 1927 through 1929, I think it would have been Memphis...  it seems like it was such a major crossroads and hub of activity.  You were probably almost guaranteed to hear good musicians from almost any part of the country who were passing through.

It makes me wonder - and I know I'm avoiding a definition....  seems like a lot of the musicians who have been identified as Memphis musicians have their roots in northern Mississippi...  (Wilkins, Furry, Stokes, Cannon too...)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Hi Steve,
I don't know that there is a musical definition of Memphis Blues, as such, from that period.  If so, it would have to encompass the very broad range of what the players in Memphis wound up doing.  And, as per Frankie's observation, a lot, or most of the people we think of as Memphis Blues players gravitated there from elsewhere.  Maybe the best we can do is definition by location--the music played by the musicians who congregated in and performed in Memphis in the '20s, '30s, and for some, into the '40s and beyond.
All best,
Johnm

Mister Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind being in Memphis right now, but that's another story...

I think though, and I've been developing this sense of music, that audience also plays a huge part in shaping music.  The Wikipedia definition does include refs to the artists and of course the medicine shows, jug bands, etc...and Memphis is seen as a "destination."  For me, that's a good thing.

Just would be curious at laying down some characteristics...I'll start with one: emphasis on being entertaining.  This isn't to say that other types of CB aren't entertaining, but fair to say the diversity of audiences also shaped the music in Memphis?

I gotta say again overall I love Memphis Blues.

BTW, Cyndi Lauper has an album (which has BB King on it) getting some great reviews..."Memphis Blues."

Thanks frankie and Johnm.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:05:29 PM by stevej »

Tags: Memphis 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal