collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Hitch me to your buggy baby, drive me like a mule - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Rabbit Foot Blues

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79718 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: New John Miller Website
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that I've selected Sam Chatmon's "Brownskin Woman" for the Song of the Month lesson for October, 2017.  Here is Sam's performance of the song, which is in the "Big Road Blues"/"Stop And Listen" family:

For the month of October, 2017 only, a virtual lesson is available for $35.00 (a hard copy version can be purchased by U. S. residents only for $42.00) from my website.  Go to www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the "Teaching" section for more information or to order the lesson.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:10:32 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Hi all,
My Song of the Month lesson choice for November, 2017 is Babe Stovall's "Going Away to Wear You Off My Mind", an epic performance by Babe in G position, standard tuning (tuned about a whole step low in his recording).  Here is Babe's performance of the song:

It wasn't until I went to transcribe this song that I fully appreciated how many ideas Babe showcases in this rendition; he really has about enough material here for four or five normal songs.  Because Babe covers so much territory, the lesson covers a lot--his intro solo, verse one and verse three accompaniments and three solos.  His playing on this shows a lifetime's worth of exploration and playing.  For the month of November, 2017 only, I'm offering the lesson for $35.00.  You can go to my website, at http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html , for more information or to order the lesson.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for November, 20117 is Babe Stovall's "Going Away To Wear You Off My Mind", which you can listen to on the last post prior to this one in this thread.  For November only, I offer a lesson on the song for $35.00.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html  .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: December, 2017 John Miller Songs of the Month Lessons
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to announce the Song of the Month lesson for December, 2017 at my website.  It is "Baton Rouge Rag", as played by Joe Harris, and field recorded by John Lomax in Louisiana in the late 1930s.  The piece is lovely, very sophisticated number that makes you wish Joe Harris had been more extensively recorded.  Here is Joe Harris's performance of "Baton Rouge Rag":

For the month of December, 2017 only, I am am offering a lesson on "Baton Rouge Rag" which includes a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs, for $35.00.  To find out more about the song or to order the lesson, go to http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .

I'm also offering a second Song of the Month lesson for December, 2017, my arrangement of Mel Torme's and Bob Wells' "Christmas Song".  Like "Baton Rouge Rag", a lesson on "Christmas Song" is available for $35.00 for December, 2017 only.  You can order the lesson from the same link shown in the previous paragraph.  Send me a personal message if you'd like me to send you an .mp3 of the arrangement.  Thanks for your time.

All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:37:04 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: December, 2017 Song of the Month lessons, "Baton Rouge Rag", "Christmas Song
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lessons for December, 2017 at my website are Joe Harris's "Baton Rouge Rag" and Mel Torme's "Christmas Song".  Lessons on either one of these songs are available for $35.00, just for this month.  You can listen to "Baton Rouge Rag" in the post immediately prior to this one in this thread, and if you'd like to hear my arrangement of "Christmas Song", just send me a personal message.  Information on how to order the lessons can be found at:   http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
January 2018 Song of the Month Lesson: Ishmon Bracey's "Saturday Blues"
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2018, 10:17:20 AM »
Hi all,
Happy New Year!  I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for January, 2018 will be on Ishmon Bracey's "Saturday Blues", a terrific Mississippi blues recorded in 1928.  Here is the piece:

The original recording is a duet, with Ishmon Bracey being seconded by Charlie McCoy.  The lesson will focus on Bracey's guitar part, which sets up a tricky interior call-and-response between his bass and his treble.  Add the vocal in and you have a complex three-way dialogue that is great fun and very satisfying to put together. 

For the month of January, 2018 only, the lesson on "Saturday Blues" is being offered for $35.00 (after January, the price of the lesson will revert to $55.00).  For more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the "Teaching" section. 

Thanks for your time, and best wishes for a healthy and happy new year in 2018 with plenty of guitar playing!

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
January Song of the Month lesson: Ishmon Bracey's "Saturday Blues"
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for January, 2018 is Ishmon Bracey's guitar part on his original recording of "Saturday Blues", which you can listen to on the post previous to this one in this thread.  For just this month, a virtual lesson on the song is available for $35.00.  Hard copy versions are available to U. S. residents only, for $42.00.  for more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:53:17 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Song of the Month lesson, February 2018, Blind Blake's "One Time Blues"
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
Hi all,
I'm sorry to be a little late announcing the Song of the Month lesson for February, 2018, but it is Blind Blake's "One Time Blues".  Considering what a wonderful guitarist Blake was, he has been a bit under-represented in the Song of the Month choices, but "One Time Blues" is a terrific number, and one of the few very pieces that he recorded in A position, standard tuning.  Here is his performance: 

The lesson, which includes his intro and verse one, two and four accompaniments (he played no solo on the song) includes a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs and is available for the month of February only for $35.00 U.S. (hard copy versions are available to U. S. residents only, for $42.50).  To find out more about the lesson, or to make payment, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar , in the Teaching section.  Thanks for your time.

All best,
John Miller

Offline OMpicker

• Up the river, Daddy's gonna do a stretch...
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
Had been lost but now am found...

Been away for awhile, but like the prodigal, etc...  Amazed at the wealth of resources, information, joy in listening that has developed.  Love your new site John.  Very tasteful.
Dennis

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Song of the Month lesson, Blind Blake's "One Time Blues"
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 05:51:54 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website for February, 2018 is Blind Blake's "One Time Blues", an A blues that you can listen to two posts back in this thread.  For the month of February, the lesson is available for $35.00.  To find out more about the lesson or to order it, go to my website at  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .

I'm glad you like the site, OMPicker, but I guess it's a while since it has been new, since it's been up since 2008.  Your post inspired me to change the name of this thread.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Robert Belfour's "Hill Stomp"--March 2018 Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson for March 2018 at my website is Robert Belfour's "Hill Stomp".  Here is a link to Robert Belfour performing "Hill Stomp" live: 

Robert Belfour was one of the foremost practitioners of the Mississippi Hil Country style of blues, and his music has thus far been pretty much unobtainable in publicly-offered teaching materials.  Here is a chance to get acquainted with his trance-inducing sound via an exciting instrumental number.  Robert Belfour's way of getting around on the guitar was all his own, and becoming acquainted with his techniques will make the playing of other Hill Country material more readily accessible.

The price of the lesson, just for the month of March, is $35.00 U.S., with a hard copy version of the lesson also available to United States residents only, for $43.00.  The lesson includes a transcription in TAB, sent as a .pdf and thorough talk-throughs, sent as .mp3 files.  To order the lesson or obtain more information, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section. 

Thanks for your time, and I hope 2018 is going well for you thus far.

All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:47:38 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Song of the Month lesson for March, 2018: Robert Belfour's "Hill Stomp"
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »
Hi all,
Just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for March, 2018 at my website is Robert Belfour's "Hill Stomp", which you can listen to on the post previous to this one in this thread.  There is also information on the cost of the lesson and how to order it offered there.  This is such a great tune and it is such a crystallization of Robert Belfour's style and sound.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
April, 2018 Song of the Month lessons--2 for the price of 1 from Jessie Mae!
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »
Hi all,
The response to the March, 2017 Song of the Month lesson, Robert Belfour's "Hill Stomp" indicated a strong interest in Mississippi Hill Country Blues.  For that reason, I'm offering 2 Song of the Month lessons for the price of 1 lesson this month, with the two songs from Jessie Mae Hemphill.  These songs are not technically demanding, and should be accessible to anyone accustomed to fingerpicking blues.  They have a powerful, elemental quality that makes them real stand-outs, I think.  The first is "Go Back To Your Used-To-Be", and here is Jessie Mae's performance of the song:

The second song is her rendition of "Eagle Bird", and here is her performance of it:

During the month of April, 2018 only, I am offering lessons on these two songs for $35.00.  The lessons include TAB and thorough talk-throughs of the songs, sent as a .pdf file and mp3 files, as attachments to emails.  Hard copy lessons will not be available for these lessons.  To order these lessons, or for more information, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, where instructions for making payment can be found.

Thanks, and I hope you'll want to take advantage of this special offer.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
April Songs of the Month lessons: 2 from Jessie Mae Hemphill
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that for April, 2018 I'm offering two Song of the Month lessons for the price of one--$35.00 U.S.  The songs are Jessie Mae Hemphill's "Go Back To Your Used To Be" and "Eagle Bird", and you can listen to them on the post previous to this one in this thread.  Information on how to order the lessons is offered there, too.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Vermonter

• Howdy!
Re: John Miller Website
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »
I recently purchased one of John's audio/tab lessons, and the only better way to learn that I can imagine is having John sitting across the table, guitar in hand. I've learned a tune in record time that I was having trouble with thanks to the clarity of his explanations and his playing. Thanks for all the work you do, John.

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal