collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My baby left town, she left me a mule to ride, and when the train left the station, the mule lay down and died - Yank Rachell, She Caught the Katy

Author Topic: Hard Luck Blues by Rich Remsberg  (Read 1356 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Hard Luck Blues by Rich Remsberg
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »
This looks like an interesting book. So many books, so little time.

A bit more from the website:

Poignant images of music making during the Depression, captured with precision and purpose

Showcasing American music and music making during the Great Depression, Hard Luck Blues presents more than two hundred photographs created by the New Deal's Farm Security Administration photography program. With an appreciation for the amateur and the local, FSA photographers depicted a range of musicians sharing the regular music of everyday life, from informal songs in migrant work camps, farmers' homes, barn dances, and on street corners to organized performances at church revivals, dance halls, and community festivals. Captured across the nation from the northeast to the southwest, the images document the last generation of musicians who learned to play without the influence of recorded sound, as well as some of the pioneers of Chicago's R & B scene and the first years of amplified instruments. The best visual representation of American roots music performance during the Depression era, Hard Luck Blues features photographs by Jack Delano, Dorothea Lange, Russell Lee, Arthur Rothstein, Ben Shahn, Marion Post Wolcott, and others.

Photographer and image researcher Rich Remsberg breathes life into the images by providing contextual details about the persons and events captured, in some cases drawing on interviews with the photographers' subjects. Also included are a foreword by author Nicholas Dawidoff and an afterword by music historian Henry Sapoznik.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the reminder on this one, Uncle Bud. I just checked OCLC / WorldCat and it looks like quite a few libraries have now added it to their holdings, so for members who use the library, it might be available at your local library or through Inter-Library Loan.

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_bks&q=Hard+Luck+Blues%3A+Roots+Music+Photographs+from+the+Great+Depression&fq=dt%3Abks

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
I borrowed it from the library last week. It's a fine book, with plenty of great photos. There are probably only about 30 pages of text in all (if that much), but we all know the old saying about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal