collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I could DIE doin' this" - Yank Rachell encouraging Dan Smith on Night Latch Blues

Author Topic: Memphis Recording Sessions  (Read 1243 times)

Offline DanceGypsy

• Side Street Steppers
Memphis Recording Sessions
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
More help for my Memphis music tour.

David Evans replied to my email and said

"There were eleven recording sessions in Memphis (lasting ca. 1-2 weeks) by five different record companies in 1927-30 and another in 1939.  The 1927-30 sessions were variously in the Ellis Auditorium, Peabody Hotel, and Falls Building.  Only the Peabody is still standing, but we don?t know where in the building the sessions were held."

Does anybody know a) what the companies were, b) when/where each recorded and c) who they recorded at the individual sessions?

I would like to put together an Excel spreadsheet with all of this data, and then be able to pick and choose what to talk about as we pass the different sites (Peabody Hotel, Ellis Auditorium, etc.)  Does a table with this information already exist anywhere?

Offline hortig78rpm

Re: Memphis Recording Sessions
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
best way is to by the discographical bible: goodrich & dixon: blues & gospel records

mike

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:37 AM »
best way is to by the discographical bible: goodrich & dixon: blues & gospel records
I totally agree but as it's now out of print and has been for some time (refer to B&GR tag) the best bet would be to borrow a copy from a library holding it.

Offline LD50

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:27 AM »
I totally agree but as it's now out of print and has been for some time (refer to B&GR tag) the best bet would be to borrow a copy from a library holding it.

According to US Amazon, it looks like it's still in print. New, $145; used copies, $85 and up.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »
Does anybody know a) what the companies were, b) when/where each recorded ...

You can get quite a bit of this information from Goodrich and Dixon's Recording The Blues, now available as one section of Yonder Come The Blues.

Tags: Memphis 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal