collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know - Louis Armstrong, upon being asked to define 'jazz'

Author Topic: New "country blues" Guitar  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Tall Bob Flood

New "country blues" Guitar
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:34 AM »
Hi Fellows,

I'm playing country blues/delta blues/ragtime for some time on my ovation copy and decided that it's time for me to buy me a new guitar that fits the style more. I'm kinda a newbee with buying guitars and especially acoustic guitars... My question to you: do you have any recommendations ??? My budget is $300 ....
Check my youtube channel:

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: New "country blues" Guitar
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »
You could try to pick up an old Harmony Stella on ebay. 

No one could claim they are "good" guitars, but many like the dry boxy sound of them for blues playing.

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:05:54 AM »
You could try to pick up an old Harmony Stella on ebay.  

No one could claim they are "good" guitars, but many like the dry boxy sound of them for blues playing.

I think you mean the "Harmony" Stella's ??? (not the Schmidt Stella's >$300)... Are these Harmony Stella's good enough??? Or are they "pieces of junk" like some people on the internet say....

I just need a guitar that sounds good for this kind of music!

guess this: http://cgi.ebay.de/VINTAGE-STELLA-HARMONY-ACOUSTIC-PARLOR-GUITAR-/360288868655?pt=Guitar is a Harmony Stella.....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:08:14 AM by Tall Bob Flood »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:17:54 AM »
They are arguably pieces of junk.  Made primarily of plywood and many examples have a lousy action- so look out for that if you take the Stella route. 

But they do make that punchy dry noise which lends itself to a lot of blues. 

If you are more into smooth picking blues that funkier stuff though, then a Stella probably isnt for you.

I love mine- but i did get lucky and get a good (and very early) one.

For something more sophisticated there are stacks of entry level guitars these days with good production values and solid tops.  I'll leave others to point you to those though, as I've not played too many of them of late.

Best bet may well be to find a good guitar shop and play everything in your range until you find one which speaks to you.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »
Also Check out Mr. O'Muck's review on the Art & Lutherie AMI: http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?amp;Itemid=128&topic=6659.0

These sites might be of use with your budget:

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

http://www.fatdawg.com/index.html

Cheers

Pan

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:40:38 AM »
Thank you guys... I'm gonna check it out right now!!! More information is always welcome!!!! I must say that I feel really attracted to the sound of the Stella's but like you said it's kinda risky to buy them from the internet... Since there are no Guitar shops in the region who import or sell old Stella Guitars for me the internet (ebay) is the only option available.... When I find something interesting I will post it right here... I would really really appreciate when some of you guys could give their opinion (as far as that's possible).

Grtz

Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
TBF, if you don't go the vintage Stella route, and even if you do, I'd recommend doubling your budget if you can. There are some great small body guitars out there these days but $600 is the start point generally. My $700 Guild GAD quickly became my number 1 guitar, amazingly. It's a good one though, I had to play a few.

Also check out Acoustic Guitar mag's recent reviews of L-00-style knock-offs, at least you will get an idea of some brands worth investigating.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:11:49 PM by Rivers »

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
A few weeks ago I tried a Guild GAD-30R in my local guitar shop and was quite surprised just how good it was (I suppose I was slightly prepared, having read many good reports on the internet). It featured impeccable workmanship, was easy to play and sounded great. It was priced at ?550 and quite frankly, I think an American-made "boutique" guitar costing around ?3,500 would have offered little more. Had I not just got my new Sellens 00-28, I would certainly have been tempted.

Some months ago, I also tried a Crafter parlour model in the same shop and was very impressed.

If you are determined to have a North American instrument follow up Mr. O'Muck's recommendation elsewhere for an Art & Lutherie, or look out for a second-hand Parlor or other model by Larriv?e.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Tall Bob Flood

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
Unfortunately my budget is $300 MAX (when buying on Ebay it would include shipping)... That's why I'm now looking for a Stella Harmony, maybe it's not that good or even badly build... I just like the sound of it and am prepared to take some risk...

what do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STELLA-HARMONY-ACOUSTIC-PARLOR-GUITAR-/360288868655?pt=Guitar

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »

Vancouver Tom Lee has one of them there Art and Lutherie Ami's for $275 total (that's with BC tax and US $ conversion included).

It sounds like you'll get a nice little guitar for that price.

Also, don't forget to look into dumpsters every once in a while. I once found a mid-60's Japanese copy of a Bluebird in a dumpster, all it needed was a new set of tuners. Pure plywood, sounded great. After 8 years the tension of the strings finally pulled up the bridge, causing a split in the underlying face. I gave it to a luthier to fix and to give away to some deserving kid in New Orleans. I really miss that box.

Lindy

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:10:36 AM »
With any of these old Harmony guitars...make sure to ask what the action at the 12th fret is....if its too high you are looking at a neck reset which will double your budget...unless you can do it yourself. I'm a lover of Harmony guitars...particularly the H-162, H-165, and Sovereign 1203....but all the ones I've purchased (6 or 7 over the years) have needed resets...that's why I'm learning to do them myself.

I would also suggest you look for a used Seagull Grand Parlor....great guitar for the money.

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
Or what about this one - narrowish neck apparently, but can't go wrong for $350 BIN?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180549631448&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1152wt_1139

Offline I Brake for 78s

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »
Some of the old Harmony Sovereigns are great big old guitars.  Usually cheap.

Offline ericm

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »
Blueridge guitars are excellent too and the BR-43 is perfect for country blues:
I don't have any idea of US prices but in France this model is cheap and on the top in term of value for money...
JOURNALIST: I guess your long hair makes you a girl.
Frank ZAPPA: I guess your wooden leg makes you a table.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal