collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"A lot of people think the blues is depressing" she told The Los Angeles Times in 1992, "but that's not the blues I'm singing. When I'm singing blues, I'm singing life. People that can't stand to listen to the blues, they've got to be phonies" - Etta James

Author Topic: Vocal Remover And Isolation  (Read 421 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Vocal Remover And Isolation
« on: August 03, 2023, 06:20:22 PM »
The new Blind Blake books mention Vocal Remover that will be of great help in hearing what Blake plays behind his singing.

But for transcribing lyrics I realized it could also be a tremendous asset.

Vocal Remover And Isolation - Separate voice from music out of a song free with powerful AI algorithms

https://vocalremover.org/

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Vocal Remover And Isolation
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:25:44 PM »
It's been discussed before IIRC, perhaps at Stefan's site. It certainly can't hurt, but some of the insoluble problems we encounter here are owing to the physical condition of the record (whupped) or the pronunciation being problematic. I'm willing to give it a fair shake so perhaps we can compile a list of songs that have trouble spots and we'll give it a workout.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »

These two pop up now;

Dying Pickpocket Blues - Nolan Barrelhouse Welsh
That'll Never Happen No More - Blind Blake

The site seems to be restricted for maybe 2 or 3 files per day.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 05:49:20 PM »
I ran "That'll Never Happen No More" through the https://vocalremover.org/ software and have the resulting vocal only and music only MP3 files. If anyone is interested in listening to them, send me a PM with your direct e-mail address and I'll send them to you as attachments.

Offline harriet

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 02:34:43 AM »
I've been using the vocal remover for a while and find it especially helpful in examining slide guitar selections that I want to study where the artist is playing something different than the instrumental portion he presents in the solo where there's guitar only.

Also in transcribe I can see how loud or soft an artist played under the vocal and the masterful result of the meshing and balance of the vocal/accompanying guitar.  I also use Adobe Audition - (I think that's like one of the free audio production softwares like reaper - but Audition came with my Adobe subscription) -  which will allow me to adjust the volume of the guitar ubder a vocal if it's too soft. 

There's also a program that was recommended called Moises which isolates all tracks which forum members also might be interested in https://moises.ai/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:09:17 AM by harriet »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 06:36:19 AM »
MarkC, I think you're right about the porkchop line in That'll Never Happen No More".

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=941.msg115469#msg115469

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the post, Harriet, and for the tip on Moises. I'm going to check it out. I've only used vocal remover on a couple of tracks and it has proven useful when listening to the problematic sections.

I've read, maybe here, that there is a process that allows sound to be recovered from the groves of 78s--below where most of the wear takes place. I believe it's done by using laser scanning technology and then processing the scan with software to reconstruct the audio. It's probably niche technology and expensive, but I bet it might get us closer to how the original recording sounded when new. But as always, I digress...

Offline harriet

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks Stuart. Both Moises and Vocal remover you have to pay for. I liked the later since I don't study much but soloists.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal